Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

YouTube app has added 1/2 speed!

Jazz+

YouTube has had half speed play on the desktop versions for a long time now and I have been waiting for it to show up on my iOS app for my iPhone. It makes learning music so much easier to hear it at half speed. It's a good day for the iPhone!

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those of you who are familiar with the SlowDowner, it's a nice feature when learning new stuff.

And the price is right :)

That's the one I use (Amazing Slowdowner or ASD) - have the iPad app. I like it because you can easily set up loop points and continually adjust speed and pitch (good for those older tracks that are between keys) and you can build up a playlist.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

How do you get the music you're transcribing into ASD (lite or full version)?

Does it locate it in your iTunes files? Does it work with Apple Music streamed material? Do you need to use iTunes file sharing on your Mac? Does it support cloud drives like iCloud or Dropbox?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If it's in iTunes, you can pull it right in. The easiest way otherwise is that it will give you an IP address you can hit on your local network and upload it to your library - I do it that way to move from my desktop PC to my iPad.

(Note: I have full version for the whopping $15 or $25 or whatever it was)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I use ASD when the part is more difficult, I need to work harder on it, etc. Big value for money. Should be a staple of gigging musos everywhere.

But for that quick riff you just can't figure out, just clicking an icon on YouTube is a great way to hear it at .75 speed. I must have used it at least 40 times.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Helpful thread, I had only used Desktop version of Amazing Slow-Downer, and didn't have it any more since I replaced my home computer last year, and back when I bought it last, it was like 50 bucks I think for the desktop version, so I hadn't been in any hurry to buy a new copy. Didn't realize that there was now a full-featured Android version for just 10 bucks! So I just downloaded it on my phone and I'm all set!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Another option, a LOT like ASD, is "Transcribe!" It also lets you pitch correct, speed correct, and break things up by beats, bars, and sections to make loop setting easy. It also includes a video viewer so if you have a video the hands stay sync'd to the music.

The screen looks busy because by default the harmonic analyzer's view is on. It's easier to turn that off and use your ear, IMO.

I've long advocated for Capo on Mac and iOS, but I've been using AudioStretch on iOS a lot lately. It has the same keyboard thing as Transcribe! and you can scrub the audio with your finger whether or not it's playing. Capo can only do it while it's playing, and it doesn't sound as good to me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Melodyne Editor can be helpful. I brought in Bill Evans' Danny Boy and after about 30 seconds it had done the analysis. Editor and above can work with polyphonic material while the less expensive versions are monophonic. I saved the results as a MIDI file, brought it into Pro Tools and then printed to PDF the results. I could have made it cleaner by placing key signatures at the right places. The piece is rubato so rhythmically it's going to be a mess.

As you can see it's not perfect, but I think it's most helpful with the more difficult aspect of transcription which is the inner harmonies. I don't know that I'd recommend Melodyne Editor solely for this purpose as it's expensive. I need it for other things, so this is a nice added feature.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/PCS-xtras/images/Danny%20Boy2.jpg

Archived