Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whats the max hard drives size for a B&W G3 on 9.1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

old western digitals have a bad reputation for failure. the current run of them, especially the 8mb-cache caviar 120gb are a good drive. i use two, and they are great.

better check your motherboard rev on that BWG3. rev ones cannot use any other drive but the original 6gig on the motherboard ide bus due to severr data errors.

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Crass Coaster Guy:

better check your motherboard rev on that BWG3. rev ones cannot use any other drive but the original 6gig on the motherboard ide bus due to severr data errors.

Is there no possibilty to make it work? extra PCI-card? Finding a 6gig hd now must be close to impossible.

One of my mac's is a rev1 B&W G3 and the HD died. I don't know what to do with this machine, it just sits there... :confused:

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I've got one of those, too! Just sits there... :D

6G HD and everything (actually, it may be a 12..) Other than making a server out of it--which I have very little inclination to even mess with--I have no idea what to do with it.

I purchased an IDE controller card; used a PCI slot in order to do it, but my PCI demands aren't that great, so it really didn't matter.

At one time, I had even tracked down a source for rev2 IDE chips, figuring I'd simply solder the new one on in place of the rev1, but never got around to it and misplaced the contact info, anyway.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Well,

There is one alternative, you can remove the zip drive and place the new hard drive on the secondary IDE bus. Problem is its wayyyyy slower: ATA/33 vs ATA/3 I believe. If I have to move it there because of Data corruption I'm not sure if I can run PT and DP3 from their even if I record audio via my SCSI card. Man, this is a pisser, just trying to find some way to avoid spending money on a new computer. For my purpose this thing works great except for the hardrive issue. I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for a Rev 2 motherboard on ebay. I wouldnt dare attempt a soldering job on my comp even though I'm pretty good at it.

Dallas

http://TrilogySound.com

Reading, PA

the firewire ports on those mobo's dont work well either although i am sure SOME of them do, but not the ones i have seen. i lost everything on a drive during a backup of the BWG3 rev1 here because something in the firewire setup corrupted the drive. ouch! drive was fine after a reformat.

you COULD add a promise/sonnet/siig/acard ata card in there and use that for the big drive, you would lose a pci slot but depending on which card you choose you could add 1,2, or 4 drives to it.

also sonnet has a card that is ata133, usb and firewire. also it has options for FIVE ata drives - you can mount a notebook drive right on the card. i think its called TRIO.

Coaster,

Thanks, that may be my last resort. I've after scouring the internet I have found that some people have had luck installing the Maxtor Diamondmax drives on the primary bus, but its pretty much hit and miss. I've purchased one of them so I will wait and see how that works. If not I will definitely have to go to the sonnet card.

Glad you mentioned the issue concerning the firewire port. I was thinking about purchasing a MOTU 896, Now I have to research that.

Damn, this must have been the crapiest computer apple released, what happened to quality control!!!!!

Dallas

Reading, PA

back then the pc's were starting to go so fast that apple needed to do something to make the macs sellable. the BWG3 was the first mac to use a 100mhz sustem bus, the new style pc100 ram, and all IDE. previously the system bus was 66.

so it was the first of its kind, and not without problems.

if its a 300mhz mac, it will run osx quite well.

your firewire port may be fine. if not, a $20 card will work. but your running out of slots! another reason macs are so MADDENING, why not 6 slots like 9600 or almost any pc?

i have two 9600's with g3 and g4 cpus i run because i am so dang ticked about stuff like this. i have a g4 - (2)867 also. i have a XP pc for doing the things macs dont do.

my friend has YOUR computer, and i have done a lot of work to it. what a maddening computer hardware-wise. i am quite suprised how well it runs osx though, much better than a slower speed mobo mac.

dont give up on it, if you get it working its a nice machine, and still worth about $125 on ebay.

Coaster,

Actually I have the 350Mhz version, and a lot of the firewire issues have to do with OSX I see. Under OS 9 many people are fine.

I have one question why would I want to run OSX on this computer since its only a single processor, also are you telling me that I could run DP4 using OSX on this computer thanks?

Dallas

Reading, PA

i dont know really. i installed osx on the 300mhz version my friend has because she wanted it on there. i drove the crap out of it for about 4 days running as many apps at the same time as i could the whole time. i hit %100 on the cpu a lot with 6 or 7 apps open, but it never crashed. it actually booted and runs quite well in X.

if you get a bigger hard drive working there would be no reason not to run both X and 9, even if just for fun. just partition your drive first to make life easier down the road.

i have run dp on a BWG3/350 and it worked quite well, but i cant remember the version number. either 2.7 or maybe even 3

Archived