Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT / Gregg Allman, the surrealist we never knew

d  halfnote

Now that the initial distress has passed maybe it's time to do the equivalent of a N O "2nd line" & celebrate the Good Thangs

:D

[Y''all'll get it in a moment]

BTW, don't cut it off early...aft Gregg's 1st tune he returns w/ a stunningly surrealistic perf of Midnight Rider.

While there's an incredibly prescient, uh, pop ballet going on GA delivers a truly heartfelt vocal.

"...I'm past the point of caring..." indeed

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really ?

30+ views overnight but no comments ?

:idk

Maybe some think I'm snarking at GA but that's not the case.

Perhaps some think the more pop aspects of GA's career don't bear scrutiny.

I think that's also not the case.

While the presentations of both songs are, to say the least, uh, unusual, I think they reveal several important things:

Cher was/is a skilled singer & dancer.

She must've been lots of fun to hang with.

[bTW, as far as I know, she was the only one of Gregg's former wives to show at his funeral]

Whoever concocted the choreography had some ideas that later took over the stage & vid presentations of pop music in general.

Moves that we've seen w/ all the post-Paula Abdul school from Madonna ~ Beyonce .

Even Prince Rogers Nelson's equally distinctive vid dance for his single "Kiss" borrows from this.

d=halfnote

Now that the initial distress has passed maybe it's time to do the equivalent of a N O "2nd line" & celebrate the Good Thangs

:D

[Y''all'll get it in a moment]

BTW, don't cut it off early...aft Gregg's 1st tune he returns w/ a stunningly surrealistic perf of Midnight Rider.

While there's an incredibly prescient, uh, pop ballet going on GA delivers a truly heartfelt vocal.

"...I'm past the point of caring..." indeed

[video:youtube]

For sure. His voice is both reedy and brassy, in very good ways- and indeed emotive and with a world-wearily soulful depth.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

+1 I love Gregg's vocals...and his keys and guitar playing! Great job on Midnight Rider! Cher's 1st costume is a little over the top these days with the hair, but it was cool back in the day... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

"Cool"? Hell. I did a "spit take" when I first saw that "Outer space car hop" outfit! :D And with that HAIR! :D:D

I don't know about Greg being any kind of "surrealist", but his voice always DID have an ethereal quality. ;)

And not to wander too far off, but I find it curious that since his death, people, when referring to him in other forums, have insisted on referring to PRINCE by using all THREE of his names. :idk

Entertaining clip though. Thanks

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Cher's outfit was so bazar, that at first I hadn't notice Gregg's matching outfit LOL! I didn't mind that Lost In Space look, but I could definitely do without the Afro wig and the little car hop doodad in the middle of the doo LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived