Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You Know You're Joining A Good Band When...

Danzilla

Everybody, complete that sentence, with a real-life experience. (You can replace "joining" with "in" if you've been in that situation for a good while, and something still validates it's a good band.)

As to me...

... They email and say "Everybody - learn this Porcupine Tree song by next rehearsal."

:rawk:

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...when they immediately kick me out.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

... there's no drama.

Three to four months in my new rock cover band, and not even the tiniest conflict or incident yet!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

...everyone plays to their strengths. One is a better promoter/business person, one is better at picking out harmonies for each to sing, one is better at finding (or writing) new music for the band to develop, one is a better front-man to work the crowd, etc. Everyone is better at different things.

That being said, you know you're joining a good band...

...when there are no ego issues. There's no 'Star'. Everyone works towards a common goal of putting on the best show, making the best recording, writing the best song etc without needing to be singled out for praise or feeling the need to stand one step in front of those around you who've contributed as well.

Play. Just play.

The lead singer says, "Hey, I learned all the songs ahead of time so I'd be ready for rehearsal."

The guitar player says, "I think I'm a little too loud. Okay if I turn down a bit?"

The drummer says, "Hey, I love what you're playing there. Let me adjust my kick pattern to match it so we can really lock up and create a groove."

The keyboard player says, "I'm going light on the left hand. I want to be extra careful to stay out of your register as much as possible."

These being mostly theoretical.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

The lead singer says, "Hey, I learned all the songs ahead of time so I'd be ready for rehearsal."

The guitar player says, "I think I'm a little too loud. Okay if I turn down a bit?"

The drummer says, "Hey, I love what you're playing there. Let me adjust my kick pattern to match it so we can really lock up and create a groove."

The keyboard player says, "I'm going light on the left hand. I want to be extra careful to stay out of your register as much as possible."

"To Dream The Impossible Dream", eh?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I find the combination of these words with your avatar to be freakin' hilarious. Thank you.

Play. Just play.

I find the combination of these words with your avatar to be freakin' hilarious. Thank you.

Well then, mission accomplished.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

...setting and keeping rehearsal dates isn't a giant hassle- members assign reasonable priority to the band

..."that's good enough" isn't muttered too often.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Well, I've never heard anyone ever say that about my playing.

Well, I've never heard anyone ever say that about my playing.

...like there would be survivors... :pop:

I beg your pardon. This woman made it through a WHOLE set!

scared-woman-014.jpg

Archived