Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lifeson Charged, faces TEN years!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes:

Who writes this sad garbage?

The Naples Daily News reports that the altercation at the local Ritz Carlton Hotel began when someone called security on the guitarist whiz's son, 33-year-old Justin Zivojinovich.
Either he's a "guitar wiz's" (as in a wizard at playing the guitar.) or "guitarist's" son. "Guitarist whiz's son"?? :freak:

Time to quit hiring writers with a grade school, grammar education. :rolleyes: Oh.. I'm sorry. Didn't mean to impugn any grade schoolers who write well. ;) (I'm not a great writer, but before anyone attacks my writing I should mention I'm not paid for my writing ability. ;) )

Sounds like they've got nothing, but are unwilling to back down from the high profile case. Seems they dropped the easy charges to prove and kept the most serious. I don't know what happened, but despite my respect for law enforcement I have a feeling this happened exactly how Alex claimed. He was being led away, down some stairs and was pushed by the officer who ended up on her back. Wouldn't that be embarrassing, should Lifeson's lawyers prove her injuries were her own fault for pushing him.

Does Florida allow cameras in the courtroom? I might have to have someone with Court TV tape this for me. ;)

Oh! I almost forgot!! Rush kicking off their tour in Antioch, TN?? That's funny. :D I've never heard anyone refer to attending a concert at Starwood... er, The AmSouth Amphitheater as going to Antioch for a concert. (Antioch is 15 min. drive southeast of Nashville.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well, you'll probably be reimbursed if they don't tour. Anyway, these things will probably drag on. I wonder what really happened?

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

(I'm not a great writer, but before anyone attacks my writing I should mention I'm not paid for my writing ability. ;) )

And you never will be... :P

Jus mess'n wit ya...

Seriously, what a mess! I am also inclined to believe Alex's story. Maybe it's a little bit of hero worship though. I used to be a pretty big Rush fan.

But really....Alex has never come across as a jerk or belligerent toward people. He has always come across as an intelligent, gentle person.

Putting him in jail for ten years seems really extreme to me.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

:rolleyes:

Who writes this sad garbage?

The Naples Daily News reports that the altercation at the local Ritz Carlton Hotel began when someone called security on the guitarist whiz's son, 33-year-old Justin Zivojinovich.
Either he's a "guitar wiz's" (as in a wizard at playing the guitar.) or "guitarist's" son. "Guitarist whiz's son"?? :freak:

Time to quit hiring writers with a grade school, grammar education. :rolleyes:

BTW, Merriam-Webster doesn't agree with this assessment. The spelling in the article is fine. :)

... Ease on down, ease on down the road... :D

If they had any brains, ( the prosecutors), they would either fine the piss out of him and let him walk, or make him perform a charity show. Since Naples is a city full of loaded retirees, I doubt it will happen. Too bad. It sounds to me like it escalated and was handled poorly by both the drunken 'Lifesons' and the over zealous police. Too bad common sense is usually abandoned in our courts these days.

Originally posted by deanmass:

If they had any brains, ( the prosecutors), they would either fine the piss out of him and let him walk, or make him perform a charity show. Since Naples is a city full of loaded retirees, I doubt it will happen. Too bad. It sounds to me like it escalated and was handled poorly by both the drunken 'Lifesons' and the over zealous police. Too bad common sense is usually abandoned in our courts these days.

Being from South Florida i flat out believe Lifeson. I'm sure the cops were being who they are and were a bit overzealous and it escalated from there. Obviously he's not going to get 10 years. they will fine him, and he will have to do some sort of community service and that will be that...

Originally posted by Anderton:

Maybe it was a...RUSH to justice! :)

ACK! Craig!...p-tooey-p-tooey...

I was pulled over and had to empty the contents of my car on the side of a S Florida highway when I was 18 (1984) . These 2 cops were right out of deliverance. I am sure there is a Billy Bob factor involved..

Originally posted by Bunny.:

BTW, Merriam-Webster doesn't agree with this assessment. The spelling in the article is fine. :)

And that, my friend, is just sad. English has always welcomed new words, but in this day and age it seems anything goes. We're too busy making people feel good to hold to a standard of proper spelling and grammar. There are plenty of places where grammar can, and maybe even should, slide towards slang. A news item shouldn't be one of them. (Unless, of course, the article is about the differences between proper grammar and local vernacular.)

Anyway, the worst part is, "guitarist whiz's" using "-ist" with the possessive on "whiz's" is wrong, regardless of how you spell "wiz"

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have a solution. Kick Florida out of the USA with no extradition treaties. Solve the Lifeson problem and the Bush problem in one fell swoop.

Iraq can become the 50th state; it's less screwed up than Florida is, and I'm sure that Bush has another brother somewhere who'd like to be governor of something.

(No offense, Craig.)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Goddamn... Now, I don't agree with what Alex did, but given the circumstances, I don't think this is even worth ten years. I mean, was the injury to the female officer as serious as she (or her lawyer(s)) claim? I haven't heard much about her condition, execpt for a few blurbs. (Quoting it doesn't paint a good picture for me. It usually means the person's hiding something... what a load of bullshit. :rolleyes: ) That's not to say I'm sorry, but the authorities there aren't handling it well IMNSHO.

Unless I can hear more about what really happened from the police's side (not likely to happen), I have to side with Alex & co.

This is funny to me. I was an early Rush fan (my mom and dad dropped me and a buddy off at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago to see the 2112 tour....yikes that was a time back) anyhow...fast forward, my band was playing the China Club in Chicago in during the late 80's, after the set I wander over to the bar and who's their leaning up against it but Mr. Lifeson. He's had a few so I go up to tell him that he influenced my playing early on blah blah blah, well I start say this and he grabs me and backs me up against a poll and starts saying "Don't you look at me f*ck, don't you look at me...I hope I was a better influence on your drinking..." I recopgnize the first from Blue Velvet so I say "Yah, Blue Velvet...what a great movie.." instantly he smiles and say's "your alright come join us for a drink"...boom I back in the VIP drinking with Alex...he turned out to be quite a bit of fun. The whole time Geddy and the manager stood of in the corner sober and just kinda taken in the scene talking to no one..
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

This sucks, I have tix to see Rush at the Hollywood Bowl. Well, I had tix for the Who in 2002, Entwhistle dies two days before, and they played the show anyway. So I won't be surprised to see Al on stage in one of those orange jumpsuits with "D.O.C." in big black letters on the back.

The Alex Lifeson portion of the official Rush site is/was called "Big Al's Tiki Bar". I think that tells you a lot!

Unfortunately, drunken bravado doesn't mix well with the "redneck factor" prevalent in certain portions of the Florida law enforcement community. While Naples isn't the panhandle, it isn't exactly Miami either.

Well Big Al, be careful while pickin' up trash on the side of the highway (that is if you're lucky enough to get community service instead of doin' time.) Them gators will bite you.

Hmm ... Do I hear a new Rush song?

"By-tor and the Snow Bird" :thu:

Florida cops are really bad. I recommend staying far away from that place when at all possible. I'm sure the rest of the south may not be any better, but that's where I have the most experience. The FL state government is also very corrupt which is obvious from the way the 2000 'election' fiasco was handled.

You see how bad it can be for a famous celebrity with money and influence; just imagine what happens to an ordinary person there who finds themselves on the wrong side of 'the law' for whatever reason. It ain't pretty folks.

And that, my friend, is just sad. English has always welcomed new words, but in this day and age it seems anything goes. We're too busy making people feel good to hold to a standard of proper spelling and grammar. There are plenty of places where grammar can, and maybe even should, slide towards slang. A news item shouldn't be one of them.

Errhhh... I'm a stickler for correct spelling and writing skills in general, especially when it comes to journalists, but "whiz" has been in use for a long time and has been considered a correct spelling. I certainly remember seeing it spelled that way in books when I was a little kid in the 60's. I have a dictionary from the 50's which I've just now consulted, and it lists the word spelled that way. It makes no mention of "whiz" having been derived from "wizard," although it probably was. It also lists "whiz kid (colloq) - a youth of prodigious intelligence."

Geez, you think you know someone... and then find out his name is Zivojinovich??? :eek:

BTW- did you notice the parenthetical remark at the end of this paragraph, about 3/4 the way down?

The female officer Lifeson reportedly assaulted sustained cuts to her knees and now has "intense neck and back pains" after landing on concrete at the bottom of the stairs. (We smell lawsuit.)
EDIT: Oh, I just realized this article was E! Online, not AP. That explains it...

Archived