Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing guitar to backing tracks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concert? Nah, unless that was part of the initial creation process with samples that aren't easily replaced (duduk, sarangi, pipa or kantele players are scare in Monterey.)

Live? Get used to it, folks-I play 4 nights a week to backing tracks we create in our respective studios. Drummer who sings, I play keys. The audiences love it, we sell a lot of CDs (where some of thebacking tracks come from), the singer gets to sing harmony with himself, and the music still works. It's not as spontaneous, but the passion and emotion are still there for us, and for the listeners.

Several local acts do this, and nobody complains. The bass player that I have sequenced would not have been hired anyway, so I didn't cost him a gig, just saved hauling the Hammond.

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

I saw someone do that in a few months ago, in an `open mic` setting. It was enjoyable in its own right but I was definitely aware of the prerecording-it was just too `metered` to be mistaken. I did it for a short time, while the group was looking for a drummer. Fun but not the same.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I've seen it done a fair amount.

While the "artist" in me sees a real 'karaoke' vibe and certain amount of cheeziness to the practice, as a practical musician, I say "anything that you can work at and still enjoy is cool."

The first thing that leaps to mind are the few singles and duos I've seen working "piano" bars (as guitarists), and some resort-area pool-side entertainers, although as some others have pointed out there have been some seriously cool people doing this in concert and clinic settings. I've seen Neil Zaza, Bela Fleck and Timbuk Three give some pretty cool shows w/virtual bands.

I considered doing it myself, seriously enough to prepare and record three sets worth of backing tracks, but never performed the stuff outside my studio. :rolleyes: May dust those ol' CDs off one of these days if I get bored doing the solo acoustic thang. :cool:

When I see other folks playing this way, the ones I enjoy and respect the most are those who go for really minimal backup, i.e. just bass and drums, with maybe a little comping during the solos. When they start adding things like horn and string sections, my perception of a cheeze factor goes 'way up.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

in the past we had to do some vocals to backingtape show in record store..

as we had 3 girls on stage , and they do sing life I think it might be a slightly different story. but people didn't have to pay to see these show, so I didn't feel like we were cheating anyone.

As an electronic driven project, we can rarely play all live (unless we get 15 people on stage) so my problem is less with the fact that you use a backing tape, it is simply that the show should be visually exciting as well as sonicly.

good luck

Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Have the guitar pre-recorded as well and skip the artist on stage entirely.

But seriously, it's a laugh. I seen rap artists yelling along with their own cd's in the 80's and fealt it was all a big fluke.

There's nothing like seeing, hearing, experiencing a real band playing live music. A good gig is just priceless. Tape artists are such a f*cking joke. Playing along with a tape is like getting a bloody karaoke set and entertaining the family. How low do you really want to go? If it feels like a real gig to you man I can't help but feeling sorry for you. Ofcourse this is my opinion, not facts.

Stirring shit up since 1968

Originally posted by Dasher:

...Live? Get used to it, folks-I play 4 nights a week to backing tracks we create in our respective studios. Drummer who sings, I play keys...

When is the keyboard player going to be replaced with a sequencer? The drummer is losing a lot of money.

i belong to a website that involves live looping(as opposed to canned).

and we put on shows here in cali that have a bunch of different type artists come up and (mostlee) start loops out from scratch and create some great performances in real time. some looper people bring pre recorded stuff- sometimes it works and sometimes its just too perfect(for me anyway).

oberheim/gibson echoplex is the looper unit favored by most....tho' definitely not all.

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

No one seems to be considering what type(s) or quality of music might be involved. It could be done very well & be great music...or it might stink---depends on the talent, doesn't it?

Nor does the fact that probably 90% or more of the music we hear these days is constructed in a manner quite like this seem to inform any opinions.

How different is this from listening to a band that includes some preset sequenced tracks? Not very, I think.

Is everyone claiming they only patronize artists/performers who do everything "live"?

When is the keyboard player going to be replaced with a sequencer? The drummer is losing a lot of money.
:D

I have kept my keyboard reference tracks in my computer - (the thought had crossed my mind, the drummr sings, I don't, he's cute, I'm not, and he schmoozes the livelong day, I'm lucky to remember to asay hello...)

But the fact is, nobody in the area plays to tracks like we do - I've been doing this for years in the studio, and the drummer has done this live for years, so it isn't that much of a jump to doing it in clubs/hotels...

I know it seems that in essence, we're putting a bassist and perhaps a horn player or two out of work, but the gigs we work only hire duos, so they would not have been included anyway. And when we get weddings/anniversaries etc. we always let them know we can supply any number of musicians from 1 to 14. So we are generating work for some folks as well...

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

I have to use tracks behind me for one gig that requires the whole band sound but for solo performer pay and I HATE IT..This is coming from a guy who is used to playing either in a band or solo acoustic for many years regularly. It's not that i get a Karaoke Vibe, it's that they literally pay less attention to you with the tracks then they do when it's just you and the guitar or a totally live band. I feel like a jukebox background Musical thing with the tracks...I have proof that that's how I'm seen as well because I've had people see me at other gigs acoustic and come up to me saying how great I was and how they didn't realize it from seeing me with the tracks and that they would have to make it a point to really watch me and listen to me when I'm back at the other "Track" gig....Very very telling...I hate that gig but need the cash as gigs are light up here these days and I can't afford to stop doing it...

Archived