Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wet Gear

J. Dan

Had a great show last night at Lake of the Ozarks, the first night of 3 at this venue. Outdoor covered stage with some side panels. We covered all of the gear real well with tarps since there was some rain in the forecast for the afternoon. Well, rain would be an understatement. It was a torrential downpour with tornado warnings and 70mph winds and blew in suddenly. The tarps all blew off and the gear got drenched. When I tipped my keyboards, water literally ran out. Same with all of the amp racks (first weekend playing with a new $30k line array).

So I took apart my kronos, pod, K10 and blew everything best I could with a hair dryer. I did not completely disassemble the Kronos, but tried to blow under the boards with the dryer. I couldn't open the A70 because a couple screw heads were stripped, so I opened the card cover and blew in all directions that way, and blew into the keybed. That was a couple hours ago. The gear is all sitting in a room with fans blowing on it. We're supposed to start in about 2 hours. Keeping my fingers crossed that when I power it up, the smoke doesn't come out. Waiting until the last minute to give it every chance to be dry.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like better prospects for the Kronos being dry. Can you play without the A70?

You're in a damn tough spot, in that you want to allow for the longest amount of drying time, yet you will have to fire things up in enough time to know whether or not to roll with a contingency plan. Good luck Dan.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Good news! everything worked and we had a great show. I could have done without the A70 as long as I could get my hands on another keyboard with a midi out, but the lake is sparse for music stores and such. Ended up being OK. The only real issues were that the bass player's amp didn't work so he had to run direct and some of the drum mics were crackling so the sound guy muted them (ride and hihat). But all the amps worked, my keys worked, my pod and K10 worked, all other monitors worked. Oh - we had a bad vocal mic, but had a quick replacement. But my whole rig worked fine.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This was Friday Night:

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u445/Dan_Elze/40155d42-e54a-4157-9e1c-d2a5a8363a0a_zpsjoj4wfur.jpg

This was Saturday afternoon:

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u445/Dan_Elze/369a351e-79be-4a46-b8ea-4aa604d5bc09_zpsxj8ie8xc.jpg

Saturday night ended up even better than Friday in a number of ways, despite all the work it took to make it happen.

Dan

Archived