Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IMidiPatchbay again

Heartbeat

IMidiPatchbay for me is an ideal app to sort out the Midi channels on my soft synth apps, and to act as an audio mixer for all my apps with out having to jump between screens on my iPad in a live performance situation. I'm still trying to make it work optimally with my system but I'm having mixed results. To make matters possibly worse, recently I upgraded my iPad to the latest iOS. After doing so, the first time I ran IMPB, I got a system message saying in effect "The developer needs to upgrade this app. After our next IOS update, you will not be able to use this program." I suspect what it's saying is this is a 32bit app, and in the future Apple iOS will not support 32 bit apps.

My question is this worth pointing out to the developers of IMPB? Are there any other apps that will do for me what I'm trying to get IMPB to do?

Sorry to bother you guys with this again. Any help appreciated.

Steve B.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's another more basic app that does a bunch of what iMidiPatchbay does, called MIDI Breakout Box. I don't know whether it works with virtual instruments on the iPad itself, it seems more designed for physical boards/modules, but maybe it routes to other apps as well, based on the MIDI channels you assign to them...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

MIDIFlow, same developer.

I guess that's his focus now. iMidiPatchbay was last updated May of 2014. Midiflow came out in June of 2014 and has been updated about a dozen times since then, most recently in February.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, I see it was updated very recently so I'm assuming it's compatible with iOS 10.x. I'm assuming I would need just the basic module to assign midi channels and control midi volume? It's not expensive so I can bite the bullet and just try it out. Wonder what the user interface is like?

I'm a satisfied Midiflow user. However, I was recently considering their patchbay app but when I tried to contact the developer several times he never responded. I only wanted to know if it can be used with Bluetooth midi.

Really disappointed that no one ever got back to me.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I'm a satisfied Midiflow user. However, I was recently considering their patchbay app but when I tried to contact the developer several times he never responded. I only wanted to know if it can be used with Bluetooth midi.

Really disappointed that no one ever got back to me.

Given that it's in the official documentation, perhaps he had more important things to do than point out that you hadn't read the docs? ;)

(FYI, it was added in October 2015)

Sven, if you re-read my post, you'd see I was referring to their patch bay app, not Midiflow. I already use Midiflow a lot with Bluetooth, it works great. I was inquiring about using Bluetooth with the patchbay app. Coincidentally, the developer messaged me the other day and confirmed that it does work with Bluetooth, so I purchased IMidiPatchbay as well.

Tom

Sven, if you re-read my post, you'd see I was referring to their patch bay app, not Midiflow. I already use Midiflow a lot with Bluetooth, it works great. I was inquiring about using Bluetooth with the patchbay app. Coincidentally, the developer messaged me the other day and confirmed that it does work with Bluetooth, so I purchased IMidiPatchbay as well.

Whoops, my bad; saw "Midiflow" and missed "patchbay app" ... my bad for posting at 2:30am on a Sunday night.

Apologies! :D

No worries at all!

In fact, I originally purchased MidiFlow based on a recommendation you had made to someone else, a while back. One of the best, most useful apps I've ever purchased...so, thank you!

Tom

• 1 year later...

I really like IMIDIPatchbay but Im having a problem: when I forward control changes from master none of the controllers filters (sustain, expression, etc) works. Its all bypassed. In other words, I cant have control changes over a zone and filter sustain pedal. Any IMIDIPatchbay user notice that?

Also tried to contact the developer twice with no response.

• 9 months later...
This is an old post but in case others are looking at possibly using iMidiPatchbay iOS app, it has been compatible with iOS 11 (64 bit) since Oct 2017. We'll have to see how quickly it is verified for the upcoming iOS 13. I use it all the time for live performance and like it alot. Ideally, I would like it if the developer, Johannes, would combine or at least add some of MidiFlow's functionality to iMidiPatchbay but even as is it still solves a ton of issues I would have without the app. Btw, I use it with iConnectMIDI4 and iConnectAudio4 interfaces.

Archived