Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPhone 7 random crackling noises with synth apps

analogholic

Hi,

Anyone experiencing these problems?

When I play apps like korg iWavestion, iSymphonic and SynthMaster I get these random crackling noises.

At first I was sure there was something wrong with the korg plug key interface or something with the apps...

But when I play the same apps on my iPad Air 2, I don't experience these problems.

Something wrong with my phone or something wrong with iPhone 7 in general?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need to trouble shoot.

First update the phone to most recent iOS - unless of course this started after an iOS update, in which case wait for your app developers to release updates.

Second, make sure you are running the latest version of these apps.

Third, remove the PlugKey from the scenario and see if you get these glitches through the internal sound chipset via the headphone jack. If not, the plugKey is suspect.

Check to see if Korg has issued a firmware update for the plugKey and if you have any software the plugKey may or may not require on the phone itself.

Tricky to find someone with both the iPhone 7 and the plugKey - but chances are the Korg forums/plugKey would give you a higher % of finding someone to test the same scenario you are seeing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Need more info about cracking sound. Is it coming from the tiny speakers of the iPhone and do you hear the same with headphones or plugged into an amp?
I had the blues so I started playing. Now everyone around me has the blues.

At first I was sure there was something wrong with the korg plug key interface or something with the apps...

But when I play the same apps on my iPad Air 2, I don't experience these problems.

Assuming you're running the same OS and app versions on both the iPad and the iPhone, and using the same Plugkey, that would seem to isolate it down to the phone. First things I'd try is increasing the latency on the iPhone, since a too-low setting can lead to crackling noises. (Also, just in general, you're best off running in airplane mode when using real-time music apps.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yeah, tried Latest iOS (updated two times) and the synthapps are updated

Always running flight mode

Not talking about internal speakers but via korg plugkey and headphones.

I'll make a recording of these crackling noises...

Latency...hmmm...will check that out, but yet again, the iPhone 7 has afaik more processing power than my iPad...no problem there...

And these noises appear even when I don't play...(app is launched but not played)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Latency...hmmm...will check that out, but yet again, the iPhone 7 has afaik more processing power than my iPad...no problem there...

though it's not impossible that, somewhere along the line, you'd set the latency to a lower figure on the iPhone than you'd had on the iPad.

And these noises appear even when I don't play...(app is launched but not played)

Now that seems particularly strange to me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 10 months later...

Hi.

Nice day everyone. Registered on the site to report the same problem.

Roland_FP7F -> Korg_PlugKey -> iPhone7 -> GarageBand/iGrand.

Works perfect, I can choose 1 of the 2 piano sounds, which sound very good. ...but then this crackling intermittent noise comes from time to time. I also suspected Plugkey at the beginning till I found this thread. iPhone7 has latest SW IOS 11.2.6. I am not able to test it on other Apple devices that is why I just belive that it has nothing to do with Plugkey but rather with Iphone7.

I am writing just to have one more case reported here.

I am not sure if Apple knows/fixes the issue.

Also, while searching the net I came across similar crackling problem for iPhone8 during calls. And Apple is aware

of that problem. Hopefully fix for iPhone8 will fix also our problem with iPhone7.

Bye for now.

Big question not answered on this thread: was this noise present from when you first installed & started using these apps, or did things sound OK at first?

Second question not answered in this thread: any attempt made to contact Korg support, or look at their website or forums to see if this is a known problem?

Considering the fishing expedition this will probably turn out to be, I would probably cut my losses and wipe the phone. Restore the Korg apps first & test. Then start restoring other apps (if that's possible I remember doing a wipe & restore once and I think it just did the entire phone contents in one shot).

Considering that there are two posters here reporting the same issues and they're both on an iPhone 7, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a hardware issue with that particular model.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yeah, tried Latest iOS (updated two times) and the synthapps are updated

Always running flight mode

Not talking about internal speakers but via korg plugkey and headphones.

So with internal speakers everything works? No crackling?

Noises are not present until you start the Korg app? If so, that kinda says the app has something to do with it. If it works OK on the iPad, that doesn't really say anything definitive imo. You say you updated iOSes are both the ipad & iPhone 7 running the same iOS version? Even if that's the case, Apple might install slightly different stuff into different i-devices. And there might be hardware differences between the phone & iPad that affects how audio gets to the Korg plugkey. Sorry for the guessing but you have to use any clues you can to try & narrow things down. Especially if Korg is not helping you!

Archived