Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Latency

Heartbeat

For me, the jury is still out on this soft synth concept. The other night at a gig the latency became so bad it sounded like slap back echo on my Korg Module. In the middle of a live situation there's not much you can do. I'm also running Korg ioddysey synth and IMidiPatchbay through a iPad mini 2. I'll have to do some troubleshooting to determine the culprit.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a midi cable connected or bluetooth midi? Can you put it in airplane mode?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Absolutely. I went into the Advanced settings for the Korg Module and set it to the lowest (fastest) setting of 64ms. When I first did it I noticed an instant improvement. But now it's like Forest Gump's box of chocolates..... never know what you're gonna get. I'm wondering if it's IMidiPatchbay? That's the latest addition to my system, so I'm gonna try and bypass and see if there's any improvement.

I've got an iPad Air 2 and never run below 128. I also use the Yamaha bluetooth wireless MIDI interface and latency is negligible. One thing I never forget to do before a performance is to reset the iPad to get rid of any other open apps that may contribute to latency.

Also, if you want layers or splits, I can't recommend AUM enough. It's like a mixer for all of my iPad synths, allows me to add effects, and if the synth and/or effects are AU it even stores presets!

iMidiPatchbay is one of those apps that could be sooooo much more with (what appears to be) little effort. Specifically, I wish it would display the (iPad software) synth (and the current patch name) on the main screen. just displaying MSB and LSB is meaningless to me.

The very first time I ran IMidiPatchbay on the iPad mini 2, I got a message saying something like "this program needs updating or something like that, and could affect system performance." I've only seen that the very first time, and even now I'm not sure if I was imagining it. Is it a 64 bit app or 32 bit? I don't know why else I would have received that message. Never seen it since.

iMidiPatchbay is one of those apps that could be sooooo much more with (what appears to be) little effort. Specifically, I wish it would display the (iPad software) synth (and the current patch name) on the main screen. just displaying MSB and LSB is meaningless to me.

I've only played with it a little. I imagine there may be no way to automatically display a patch name from another program, but it should certainly be possible to let the user manually enter it.

Yup. I think it's dead. That app really had promise for us performing musicians.

I don't think it's any more "dead" than any of the other gear we have that hasn't had an update since 2014. If it ain't broke... (Which isn't to say some enhancements as you're talking about wouldn't be nice.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well for anyone that's been following this thread I have narrowed the problem with my system down to IMidiPatchbay. Yesterday again, I began to get keyboard performance that resembled slapback echo. It was that bad and totally threw off my playing. So today I'm totally removing that app and going back to just the keyboard and the sound apps. First thing this morning everything is working great. Fingers crossed.

If iMIDIPatchbay ever releases a 2017 update, I may revisit but not now.

Latency is less of a problem for me than it used to be, but then I don't play live. My new interface is a Behringer 404hd and for $99 it is a major bargain...very low latency.

For latency to change, I'd suspect something else in the system related to the computer itself. Again I'm not willing to rely on softsynths live for a variety of reasons, not yet at least...though I could easily see adding an ipad/iphone-based keyboard as a second board.

edit: didn't see the solution post!

I have narrowed the problem with my system down to IMidiPatchbay. Yesterday again, I began to get keyboard performance that resembled slapback echo. It was that bad and totally threw off my playing. So today I'm totally removing that app and going back to just the keyboard and the sound apps. First thing this morning everything is working great. Fingers crossed.

It may be possible that the problem isn't iMidiPatchbay per se, but the particular combination (or sum total) of everything you're running. For example, if the problem only occurs when iMidiPatchbay and Korg Module are running simultaneously, it's hard to know for sure which of the two programs is exhibiting problematic behavior in that context. Still, that's only an academic point if you depend on Korg Module more than you do in IMP. As long as you get a setup that works for you, the cause of the problem may not be the biggest concern...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

FWIW, the author of iMIDIPatchbay has been devoting his time and effort to his other app, MIDIFlow. That's the app that I'm using, in conjunction with Audiobus, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

That being said, I'd be adverse to blaming iMIDIPatchbay if you're setting buffers to 64... when I was using that app, it was pretty solid, but buffers were at 128 across the board in my iPad Air 2.

As with all things, YMMV.

Take care when the next ios update arrive for your iPad. Rumors are that Apple will kill all applications that are not running 64 bits.

Anyone that automatically updates their OS on any device they're using for music deserves exactly what they get. #sorrynotsorry #whatareyanew #ifitaintbrokedontupdateit

That being said, I'd be adverse to blaming iMIDIPatchbay if you're setting buffers to 64... when I was using that app, it was pretty solid, but buffers were at 128 across the board in my iPad Air 2.

I'm not into the world of ipad music apps and such so I could be way off base here but...what does the buffer size have to do with a midi app.? I assume as for mac/pc buffer size is for passing/processing audio. Midi has it's own path and the associated latencies that go with it. If the drivers (do ipads have drivers) and/or code for iMIDIPatchbay is sub-optimal I can see this being the issue here.

Anyone that automatically updates their OS on any device they're using for music deserves exactly what they get. #sorrynotsorry #whatareyanew #ifitaintbrokedontupdateit

Irritatingly, if you don't update your iOS device, Apple will throw up incessant reminders.

Irritatingly, if you don't update your iOS device, Apple will throw up incessant reminders.

Yep. Blocking appldnld.apple.com and mesu.apple.com in my wifi router makes my iPad much less intrusive but still enables my OSX computers to update.

Archived