Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the future of this website

jeremy c

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is happening here I see on other forums as well, the FDP, BadAss, BassPlace, Last Bass Outpost. Membership dwindles down to a few old hands, they all know one another. Where do the new, young players hang? Facebook? TB? (Seems to stay active with some turn over in the population) We may look like a stodgy bunch to them. That's how guys my age loked to me back in the day.

I think I'll just wave my hands to say "Hi Jeremy, hi everyone else. Long time no see, but I stil come in once in a while. Miss you all and wish it was as lively as it used to be".

By the way, I am a digital subscriber of BP, so, I still read the mag on my iPad for a bargain price. Just to keep the steam in pressure.

I will have a look at the FB group you mentioned.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

• 1 month later...
Hi, guys! Just stumbled back here and am thrilled to see the LDLD still exists. I've missed everybody. What a great bunch of folks you are.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

As our dearly departed friend Greg Lake used to sing:

"Welcome back, my friend,

to the show that never ends*.

We're so glad you could attend.

Come inside, come inside."

*At least, until the advertisers and editors decide to pull the plug

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 4 months later...

I haven't been here for a long time. But then again I haven't played for a long time (long story). I joined the LDLD FB group and see the posts there.

Even before that, when I wasn't playing much, I still liked to read this forum and occasionally post something.

One thing I did earlier this year was build a bass from a kit in a guitar building workshop at a "Neighbourhood House" - it looks like a Squier PJ clone. I like it anyway. Plays a bit crisper (is that a word?) than my Epiphone mud machine.

Anyway, nice to see the forum is still chugging along. I'll be back.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have info on some departed folk:

BassGodOffspring

ThannyXIII

That nice lady in the band Cooking with Gas

That really young girl who really liked Tony Franklin

Many others that are gone from here have become really close friends.

Has anyone spoken with Wally Malone lately?

"For instance" is not proof.

I think Thanny made some bad choices, but I could be wrong.

The girl with the Tony Franklins, IIRC was Jessica / Overture1928. She was/is a Dream Theater fan, based on her screen name. I would love to discuss TF-basses with her, now that I have one :) But whilst we did PM every now and then, we never kept in touch.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hello? Is this thing on?

Having just bought a house, music has been put on the back burner as of late, but playing with power tools is fun and rewarding in it's own way. I pop in here from time to time to see what's new, but doesn't look like much!

I speak with Wally every once in a while. He's on Facebook, btw.

He got remarried and he does a lot of work for the Musician's Union.

Jeremy, have you seen or heard from your old student BGO?

"For instance" is not proof.

• 2 weeks later...
I was abducted by aliens, myself. But after I put up a fuss about the anal probing, they decided I was no fun and let me off in Timbuktu. I've been making my way back to KC ever since...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I was abducted by aliens, myself. But after I put up a fuss about the anal probing, they decided I was no fun and let me off in Timbuktu. I've been making my way back to KC ever since...

You don't like the anal probing? That's my favorite part. :sick:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I was out of the country for work, and not playing. Combine that with terrible/intermittent internet, and I dropped off the net for a while.

Got the new Lake Street Dive album yesterday, more great tunes.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Been a member here for years. I just don't have much to say.
That might be true of bass players as a group, days go by without anyone posting anything, meanwhile the Keys and Guitards prattle on about everything.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Been a member here for years. I just don't have much to say.
That might be true of bass players as a group, days go by without anyone posting anything, meanwhile the Keys and Guitards prattle on about everything.

Well, less IS more, after all... :rimshot:

Play. Just play.

In the case of keeping an online forum alive, less is actually less. It's like walking into an abandoned and gutted building.

• 4 months later...

In a word, sucky.

Drummer and I dismantled Last Call. Still all good friends and all, visit each other for jam sessions, but the guits had no desire to learn anything that would keep younger people in the club. The drummer and I got tired of trying to book us in a world where everyone wants Danny Dull and his smooth jazz keys or Bobby Boring and his campfire folk rock acoustic guitar at $100 for three sets. But really, the "state of live music today" was beat to death on this forum before I went on hiatus, so no sense in going full metal rant now.

Doing some work for a local worship project right now. I don't necessarily identify as "Christian", but the hang is good and I am trying to get the guys into doing some things that are more secular.

Me and Klhoe were talking (my 3/4 Double) about maybe trying to start an acoustic Bluegrass/Old School Blues thing. Enough wineries and stuffy, high end microbrew pubs locally that I might could pull that off.

Other than that - working for the Dept of Energy, keeping America safe from Democracy one barrel of radioactive waste at a time.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived