Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Local Musician Network

J. Dan

So many of the local St. Louis musicians have been following suit and posting all the bands they've played in. It's been fun.....some guys I know well, I dint know played in some bands I know well. It's also been a great opportunity to remmenisce and reconnect. I feel like we have a pretty tight community here in St. Louis though a bit incestuous when it comes to bands and musicians. We get around, lol.

How about you? Any similar reflections and social interactions?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The UK prog rock scene is so incestuous with shared band members and special guests that people joke that there are only 10 or so musicians in the country "qualified" to play prog. It's frustrating for a musician who's not part of the set and is increasingly tiresome for fans of the genre...

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

I think back to the eighties when we were in a musician guild and even back then it was incestuous.

*LOL*

I thought it was fabulous attending the meetings sometimes in a member's basement or at a nice restaurant. We shared what each band was doing and had some great idea sharing. I think anyone who has a chance to be involved in a local network should pursue it. The connections made through that group expanded me beyond any immediate band connections and allowed me to expand my horizons and ideas.

:)

For me, it all sort of revolves around a trumpet player.

This one young guy has for a couple of years now run two weekly jams - one in Oakland, one in Berkeley. Over the years he's gotten some of the killers in the Bay Area to come through, and the rotation roster just keeps building.

I'm playing at the Berkeley jam later tonight - he calls a killer set of tunes for the house band - tonight it's Theo Croker, Glasper, Brothers Johnson, etc. And once you've proven you can play your little tush off, you're constantly getting called for gigs, bands, situations, etc.

Archived