Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recent Yamaha patents and music tech

pjd

Hi --

With NAMM 2017 coming up, I wrote and posted a summary of some recent patents obtained by Yamaha. The survey might give you an idea about what Yamaha have up their sleeve, especially future arranger products.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-patents-summary-2017/

Enjoy -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting analysis as ever pj, thank you for sharing!

It's perhaps less Keyboard Corner related than the Tyros, however do you not believe it's also likely for the SWP70 to be incorporated into Clavinova instruments in the not so distant future?

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Yes that was a great read. Could def. be a new arranger on the horizon, but "Genos" might also be a TOTL workstation. A lot of people were miffed that the Montage ended up being a "performance synth" with very limited sequencing / recording capabilities.

But then again, Yamaha may be done with the high-end workstations...they cited market research as the reason the Montage isn't a workstation as people are using DAWs to sequence and record.. makes sense, but there are still a lot of people buying workstations.

Either way, it's an exciting time for keyboard players. So many options at all price points!

Hi --

I'm glad that you found the info to be helpful. Thanks!

To be honest, I don't worry too much about what workstations are called. Like everybody else, I'm more interested in what they do. :-) Yamaha, she moves in mysterious ways...

WRT Clavinova, the previous generation SWP51L was embedded in everything from mid-range PSR arrangers to Tyros to Motif/MOX to Clavinova to CP stage pianos (modulo product generation). Yamaha need to amortize the development cost across as many mid- to high-end products as they can.

The CVP-609 has three SWP51Ls and the CP-1 stage piano also has three, for example. The piano products have their own interconnection topology different from workstations/synths.

So, I would expect to see the SWP70 in future higher-end Clavinova products.

Hey, hey, all the best -- pj

Forgot to mention that the high-end CVP-709 shares a lot of basic technology, waveforms, voices and styles with the Tyros 5. New TOTL arranger tech will eventually drift into the next gen CVPs.

I had a chance to play a 709, and while my first instruments are organ and synth, the 709 was a dream to play. Kind of weird attempting palm slides on the 709 keyboard, but it is one serious instrument.

Take care -- pj

Yes that was a great read. Could def. be a new arranger on the horizon, but "Genos" might also be a TOTL workstation. A lot of people were miffed that the Montage ended up being a "performance synth" with very limited sequencing / recording capabilities.

But then again, Yamaha may be done with the high-end workstations...they cited market research as the reason the Montage isn't a workstation as people are using DAWs to sequence and record.. makes sense, but there are still a lot of people buying workstations.

Either way, it's an exciting time for keyboard players. So many options at all price points!

I have said it a few times allready on the Yamaha psr forums....

The Tyros will be replaced by a PSR pro instrument, less workstation more Arranger..

And the Genos which will move the arranger fully into workatstion land picking up the room Yamaha left while moving from Motif to Montage... being a stagepiano/arranger/synth/organ/workstation

Just seems to be the logical way for Yamaha to do, many of the old time home arranger players think Tyros is way to advanced, moving back to psr instruments.. and many dissapointed Motif owners might be enough reason for Yamaha to walk this road

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

Hi Bachus --

Thanks for mentioning that. I always liked that idea since I would love to get down to a single "pro-level" keyboard.

One problem that I see in the USA market is the general attitude against "arrangers." Even tho' the high-end arrangers (Tyros, Pa4x) have top quality samples, sounds and effects, they suffer from "guilt by association" with the low-end product like the PSR-F51.

I think if you had a synthesizer with a row of assignable pads on the left hand side just above the keyboard and you could assign those pads to play phrases and those phrases could loop and fill-in in interesting ways, you'd have a winner. OMG, I just described an arranger! :-)

BTW, the Japanese Yamaha site is advertising a Montage version 1.5 upgrade that includes a new rotary speaker effect and organ voices. The English language announcement should be right around the corner.

All the best -- pj

Archived