Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Minilogue: calling all users / owners

dje31

For those who've spent time with it, now that it's been around a while, would you consider its overall character closer to a modern day ARP or Moog? Or is it its own beast?

Just wondering, as it might make sense, given that Korg has ARP in its stable...but the name has "mini" in it.

The demos I've heard online sound pretty impressive, and the price is right. Curious if it leans toward either in its DNA, splits the difference, or if it's like something else altogether ( Prophet-y or OBX-y, perhaps? )

Regardless, this is kind of a golden age for keys, with tons of bargains and modern takes on vintage out there.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played both the KARP and the Minilogue at NAMM last year.

I own a lot of vintage synths and I wouldn't class the Minilogue with the modern day ARP/Moog at all. Anemic and sterile. The KARP sounded more vintage.

I take online demos with a grain of salt any more. Prefer to play it in person.

Yes this is the golden age of keys. Still have to sort the dogs from the gems though.

I rented the Minilogue when it first came out, just to make sure it was a good fit for me.

It should have been an easy buy - it has a lot of features for a good price - but I did not like it. It sounded like any run-of-the mill synth, no character or warmth at all. There are a lot of other non-analog VA's that sound much better to my ear.

It doesn't sound anywhere near a Moog to my ears. I have not demoed the Arp Odyssey, but now I think I should try one today :)

I felt a lot of my VSTs sound better than the Minilogue.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Archived