Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RANT: Yet Another eBay/UPS Debacle

Rusty Mike

Yes the end block is not that expensive. The only problem is putting it back on. For some reason the PC361 end blocks do not go on very easily the same way. Hopefully yours is not like mine was.

Oh and for shipping - I found out that you can take the keyboard (in the soft case) to FedEx. They will professionally pack it to their specs - (way over spec'ed) for a very reasonable cost. I think the S90ES cost me $40 to have it completely wrapped like a pro - and I consider that cheap.

The PC361 should be way cheaper.

When I lived in San Jose, CA, there were multiple packing places that will make a box and inject custom foam around the keyboard and basically make an awesome custom box. I remember it being really cheap - like $30 back in the early 90's. So it must be more expensive now.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Latest chapter.

Got the repair estimate, sent it to UPS, got a check a few days later that covered the repair and the original shippings costs. The instrument was repaired this week. I picked it up yesterday, ran through it, and it looks and plays great!

In the meantime, the original eBay buyer sent me an email earlier in the week, offering to buy it again (direct), and offered me more money than he originally bid. He regrets not keeping it and just having it repaired himself. This surprised me a little bit, as he had expressed some buyer's remorse almost the instant he won the bid. He's primarily a church organist, and wants to MIDI the Kurzweil up to his Rogers organ to use orchestral brass and woodwind sounds. He used to own a K-series instrument, and thought he needed the PC3K series to do what he wanted to do. I tried to assure him through email that the PC3 w/ the KORE64 included all the orchestral string, brass and woodwind sounds from the original K series. Unless he was creating his own samples or loading a K series sound library, he didn't need the PC3K.

It's difficult to tell through email (and we've never spoken over the phone), but I got the impression he was kind of relieved when the unit was damaged in shipping and he got to return it.

I've never sold anything direct to a stranger outside of eBay. I need to read the PayPal Terms & Conditions to better understand how we are both covered. If anyone has experiences good or bad, please let me know.

Oh, and I repacked the PC3 in the original packing (the way it was shipped to me when I bought it), and will take it to FedEx this time for them to inspect and improve accordingly.

Latest chapter.

Got the repair estimate, sent it to UPS, got a check a few days later that covered the repair and the original shippings costs. The instrument was repaired this week. I picked it up yesterday, ran through it, and it looks and plays great!

In the meantime, the original eBay buyer sent me an email earlier in the week, offering to buy it again (direct), and offered me more money than he originally bid. He regrets not keeping it and just having it repaired himself. This surprised me a little bit, as he had expressed some buyer's remorse almost the instant he won the bid. He's primarily a church organist, and wants to MIDI the Kurzweil up to his Rogers organ to use orchestral brass and woodwind sounds. He used to own a K-series instrument, and thought he needed the PC3K series to do what he wanted to do. I tried to assure him through email that the PC3 w/ the KORE64 included all the orchestral string, brass and woodwind sounds from the original K series. Unless he was creating his own samples or loading a K series sound library, he didn't need the PC3K.

It's difficult to tell through email (and we've never spoken over the phone), but I got the impression he was kind of relieved when the unit was damaged in shipping and he got to return it.

I've never sold anything direct to a stranger outside of eBay. I need to read the PayPal Terms & Conditions to better understand how we are both covered. If anyone has experiences good or bad, please let me know.

Oh, and I repacked the PC3 in the original packing (the way it was shipped to me when I bought it), and will take it to FedEx this time for them to inspect and improve accordingly.

I would personally stay away from that deal with a 10 foot pole. Fraught with risks with no real upside for you.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I've sold lots of used music gear nationally outside of eBay or Reverb, but I always only use PayPal. There are plenty of seller protections using PayPal, so I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Just follow PayPal's seller requirements, only ship to the buyer's "verified" address, and make sure you properly describe within the transaction details the items being sold.

I recently sold a $1200 bass guitar to a guy on the East coast (me on the West) because he found my Craigslist ad. Agreed to use PayPal... no problems at all.

~ That guy

Thanks for your responses.

I'm considering reposting it on eBay with the Buy It Now price that he offered, and then letting him know. I know I'll take a hit on the commission (which PayPal would take anyway if I went direct), but then I'll at least have the protection of the eBay transaction.

I did look at the PayPal T&C's, but didn't get find the private seller protections. It appears their first take is that sellers are business, and rightly so. I need to read more.

Archived