Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How hungry is Omnisphere?

David Emm

I'm going to upgrade and include 16 GB of RAM, because I plan to take on Omnisphere. I've gone through the specs, so I know what it generally entails, but I retain a sliver of concern. I'm curious about the number of instances you can run before a "typical" system chokes, "typical" being subject to several variables, of course. I tend to run between 18-24 non-multichannel tracks as a loose rule, with few hiccups. My current "stack" is a breeze to use, but Omni is a world unto itself. How hungry is it in your experience?

“Drugs at our age?
 You don’t have to take them forever.
 Once you’ve opened the doors of perception,
  you can see what’s going on; you’ve got the ideas.”
        ~ Dave Brock on Hawkwind’s late-period purple patch

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got 16mb of ram and have run at least 3, maybe 4 instances along with Stylus, Kontact, and OPX-Pro (or other synth vst) and a dozen or so mono audio tracks. Sonar X3, Win 7, i7 quad core. Occasional drop outs. Rare, actually.

Thanks, good to know. I'm fundamentally invested in Logic's own instruments, but I also have a few 3rd-party items I can't synthesize from my base materials. When compared with your work load, my own is pretty modest, so I feel good about my chances. :thu:

“Drugs at our age?
 You don’t have to take them forever.
 Once you’ve opened the doors of perception,
  you can see what’s going on; you’ve got the ideas.”
        ~ Dave Brock on Hawkwind’s late-period purple patch

Archived