Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best software for sub-bass rolloff??

I've read Craig's article on the benefits of rolling off the super low frequencies. But to refresh my memory? : how much of a rolloff is enough? And what is the best software tool for the job (I don't believe Craig mentioned his tool of choice in the article)? I use FreeFilter, and I thought maybe I could just lower the lowest few graphic eq sliders? Perhaps in different amounts of attenuation? What do you all use? I don't mix with a subwoofer, so it's hard for me to tell what's going on down there. Your help is appreciated! -Jim

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any good parametric will do the job. For example, I just happened to be reviewing the Sonitus parametric EQ for an upcoming issue of Keyboard, when I decided to take a break and check out some of the posts. After reading yours, I took a piece of music with heavy peaks at 20-30 Hz and applied the following: Stage 1: bandpass response, 25 Hz, Q of 1.4, -18 dB gain Stage 2: bandpass response, 20 Hz, Q, of 5.6, -18 dB gain I then did a frequency analysis of the original and processed files, which confirmed that this totally took out 20 Hz, but left everything over 35 Hz pretty much intact. I was also able to increase the level of the processed file by about 1-2 dB without clipping by getting rid of the subsonics.

Archived