Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Viacom/CBS vs. dish subscribers.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this sucks. Dish Network was kind enough to post an email address to send your best wishes to Viacom. Here's the address;

ceo@audsvcs@cbs.com

Here's what I wrote:

Dear CEO,

I will gladly switch to DirectTV if Viacom will cover the $240 Dish Network will charge me to get out of my contract. Otherwise we'll just have to do without. Frankly the only one in our family that will be impacted will be my daughter, who likes Nickelodeon. I honestly believe that this dispute becoming public shows a significant lack of concern for your viewers because you made a calculated decision to let this go public. IMHO, that's incredibly stupid and your callous suggestion that viewers find another distributor shows how out of touch with your customers you really are. Whether you know it or not this makes you look bad. How's that mud feel on your face? I have posted this letter on a public forum along with your email address.

Cheers,

Steve Chandler

Great one, pantonality! It's dumb disputes like this that are increasingly turning some folks to the web. There's actually a wealth of good programming around here. Sure, the selection isn't as big as what you'd get from your tv, but a lot of the newer indie filmmakers love it. It allows them to get their stuff out without dealing with the dumb corporate bigwigs who don't know any better. Kind of like what's happening with music distribution these days.

Or better yet, I'd just as well spend some of my entertainment $$$ on some good live shows. Besides, I never heard James LaBrie of Dream Theater say "Shake your fuckin' booty" live on TV. :D

Interesting, they're knocking out 6 + channels and giving you a whole dollar a month refund.

If I gave them a dollar a month could I have just those channels ??

Glad I don't have cable.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

i'd be willing to bet this will get resolved very quickly, and that dish is going to lose out.

their site - echostar/dish - is unreachable right now because "too many users" are using it.

they will have to bite the bullet on this one imho, i'm guessing pulling comedy central alone is enough to make the bulk of their subscribers bail on them, even at extreme cost.

as much as i hate to support viacom in any way - they are right, when they say that dish has been raising their rates in relation to what viacom is asking for in increased cost from dish.

i'd say dish is really losing it, but this isn't the first time they've done this kind of thing - in the business of immediacy that satellite is in, making your users pay for an inability to negotiate to your own satisfaction is no way to run a successful venture.

directTV and the rest are going to get rich off dish's incompetence, and after a day or two of several thousand accounts being shut down i think they'll have little choice but to cave on viacom's terms.

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

I think it'll drag out for a long while, unfortunately. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Both Viacom and Dishnetwork have the same "It's my ball so I make the rules" attitude right now.

Viacom think they have the power because they own all the channel content, Dish Network think they have the power because they own the conduit.

They are both wrong. The customer - me and you - have all the power :thu: If the dispute drags on beyond a couple of weeks, we will vote with our feet. We will leave Dish Network in droves and we will boycott the Viacom channels and ignore their advertizers. They will all suffer badly at our disenfranchised hands. Bwa-ha-ha-ha......feel the power brother! :rolleyes:

I'm sure Direct TV and local cable (Comcast) will have a "come on over to us, the grass is much greener" package by the end of the week. They'd be stupid not to!

:DTR

We had Dish Network installed a couple months ago and we've been VERY happy with it.

Last night we were pretty surprized when we realized that CBS was not available. I called the Viacom number (that Dish Network provided) and I was amazed by the languange they used towards Dish Network. Something along the lines of "if you'd like to watch CBS you should get your programming from a reputable provider".

We did a lot of shopping and comparing before we chose Dish Network. They clearly had the best price/package for our needs. At this point, we'll stick it out and hope it gets resolved. With any other service we'd have to pay more and get less of what we want.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

CEO Charlie at DISH made a very poor gamble. Instead of the DISH subs complaing to Viacom, they flooded DISH with threats of cancellation. Charlie caved. Viacom won. I guess they really want their MTV. Why, I don't know, but I sure missed the Daily Show.

Archived