Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any love for the new Squarp Pyramid hardware sequencer?

Dnsmo

I've been thinking about getting a hardware sequencer for the studio that could serve as a substitute for a workstation-style sequencer. Up until recently, it seemed that vintage gear (such as the Yamaha QY700) would be the only way to satisfy that craving. However, this box from the French company Squarp, released in 2015, has me interested:

http://squarp.net/

It's great to find any outfit in 2016 that is still manufacturing a standalone 64-track desktop sequencer that can serve as the brain for a musical setup. I like having a workstation to supplement a DAW in the studio, but not every board that I'm considering (such as the Kurzweil Forte) has a built-in sequencer. This looks like a possible solution.

Any Squarp Pyramid (or other linear hardware sequencer) users here?

Dennis

Dennis

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Computers are great for so much, but in general, I have also found that for many tasks, a specialized device with hardware and UI designed and optimized for a particular use and function, is better; I can definitely see the appeal.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I don't know, but their web site is horrible. Reminds me of when somebody posts a picture to the forum that's too big and messes up the formatting, plus I hate having to scroll through one big long page.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Computers are great for so much, but in general, I have also found that for many tasks, a specialized device with hardware and UI designed and optimized for a particular use and function, is better; I can definitely see the appeal.
Exactly, Rich. I think of using a standalone sequencer primarily as a means of capturing music quickly and easily without having to use a DAW. A workstation can serve that purpose, but I like idea of a separate hardware sequencer that can talk to more than one instrument.
Dennis

It's great to find any outfit in 2016 that is still manufacturing a standalone 64-track desktop sequencer

It´s an interesting device IMO !

I still have my Yammi QX-1 in good condition :cool: ... (and 5.12" floppies too) :laugh:

Dunno if the 96ppq resolution is good enough,- the QX-1 offered 384ppq already in the 80s.

The QX-1 was probably the tightest MIDI sequencer ever built and it´s 5.25" floppy drive is replacable by some SD-Card drive meanwhile.

So it really depends on if the Pyramid is really tight as well.

A.C.

Archived