Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 6 types of left hand (for solo jazz piano)

Jazz+

Some folks asked about this. I play these same types of left hand styles. They get switched around and blended at free will throughout the tunes. It helps keep it exciting unlike most jazz pianists which can be rather boring.

Maybe you can identify the different types he employs and then train on these left hand skills.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvk9ELGPyOs

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the boggie left hands and syncopation routines. These are easier than you might expect. (By the way, I've transcribed and memorized these 3 youtubes and it's fun stuff for me, I like how it enables to me to always be changing it up.

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived