Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is anyone repurposing their older or vintage boards?

keyskat

I love my Juno 106 but hardly get to play it. I set it up as a top board midi'ed to iPad mini 2 for practice at home.I have to say I forgot how much I love the action on the old Roland's.Additionally Galileo sounds fantastic on Karn Evil 9! If this keeps up I may just leave my sk1 at our rehearsal room semi permanently...Using and old korg n1 as the bottom board at home too now,love the action on it as well.Works great midi'ed to Ivory for iPad and also has some surprisingly useful synth patches already on board.Inlove rediscovering my gear and also experimenting with iPad apps!

How bout you guys?Is anyone creatively using their closet gear?Next up for me is bringing my D50 home to midi up with my older IPad 2...lol

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Next up for me is bringing my D50 home to midi up with my older IPad 2...lol

I need to get my D-50 fixed up. Some surface buttons STB but I think everything else is OK. Problem is I'm not too handy with that stuff so getting it repaired would probably cost as much as just finding a good used one. :(

They are beautiful sounding boards and can be had used very cheap for sure.The only problem with mine is a f4 note that almost always sounds way louder than every other key.The action is incredibly fast like most synth action older Roland's.Never figured out the problem with that one key though...I did change the battery in mine for the hell of it, very easy,no soldering.

I just picked up an XV-88 for use at home (it's far too heavy to move around!). Will have it connected to main stage for sound design and setting up patches for live use as well as sampling the JV/XV sounds into EXS24

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

That is a cool use SteveQB! I have always been on PC;but since by laptop finally crapped out,I have been toying with the idea of trying a Mac.The rest of my band is only Mac...

Seems like if I wait much longer I will be able to get a suitable set up with just an IPad Pro...Only drag is that all my daw software is PC

Thanks again Scott I will give that a go.

Keyskat my MacBook Pro is my first foray into Macs having been a PC user for many years before. Whilst I am still learning my way around and at times it can be frustrating when I can't find the right command or shortcut etc, the positives are it all just works. Main stage is also great. I was using Cantabile on the PC before which whilst very flexible doesn't have the immediacy or ease of use as Mainstage

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

I'm trying to repurpose my DX7-IIFD-E! into a road case for my PA speakers. Does that count? :D

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I have 2 non-functional polysixes. One I know has bad digital circuitry that is no longer available. The other may just need a battery, not sure and haven't opened it up to check for damage. However, if I had time on my hands, I always dreamed of repurposing their combined parts with my own new CPU - maybe based on a Raspberry Pi or similar, to make a polytwelve. I'd add some voice modes like 6-voice dual OSC, bitimbrsl with either split or layer and individually assigned unison and chord memory for each timbre. In either single OSC 12 note poly or dual OSC 6 note poly modes, you could have parallel 4-pole LP filters, or series with one switchable to HP for BP or band reject. Having 2 effects engines, you could run stereo, or combine multiple effects, which would be cool.

Realistically not something I'd ever probably do - not worth it. But it would be fun.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

As I mentioned in the "Yamaha addicts support group" thread :laugh: , I re-purposed my S90 as a master controller for 3 Yamaha synths and modules. Inspired by a video by Ujeii, I MIDI'd my S90 to my EX7, Motif Rack ES, and my TG500 (SY85 rack). I call this setup my Yammie Supersynth. :cool: One of my favorite uses is to layer 4 similar (but not identical) patches from all 4 synths together and pan them apart, control their relative volumes with the control sliders, etc. The sound is beyond massive! :love:

I also have an old, dead Matrix 6 keyboard that I'm considering making either a wall hanging or a coffee table out of. :idea:

><>

Steve

We need an island of misfit toys, with the elf who wants to be a dentist. Hell, I'd even vote for Theo as the lion. Put all these misfits together as one sort of massive modular hodge podge of analog carnage. Sort of like a Synth version of Junkyard Wars, or Robot Wars, or something like that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived