Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The "fifth" Beatle(s).

whitefang

But I really don't see what ANY of this has to do with George Martin, or ANYbody being the "5th" Beatle.

Whitefang

Lighten up amigo, things evolve according to a persons thought process, & not everyone's thought process is exactly like yours or mine. Lighten up amigo and just let the conversation flow the way it flows without taking it personal.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
During the first "breaking in" recording session with George Martin, George invited the Beatles to speak up if there was something they didn't like.

George Harrison promptly replied "Well for starters, I don't like your tie".

Fortunately George saw the humor in the remark and that cemented his commitment to the group.

:D

That just cements my opinion that John wasn't the ONLY "witty" one of the group. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

What broke the Beatles up wasn't any individual but the combination of pressures from working at a time when pop musicians didn't seem to have time to take a break (these days bands may go years between record releases) & the fact that Lennon & McCartney increasingly disagreed on matters both artistic & financial.

The disagreements abt post-Epstein management were bad enough but when it was discovered that McCartney had been buying extra shares of their publishing company without letting the others know abt that tactic & then Lennon blew his top at a meeting to develop a group of stockholders to leverage Northern Songs, ranting abt being "jerked around by men in suits"...well, they just never really trusted each other after that.

There were other factors but those 2 things were the major straws.

d=halfnote

Harrison's "I, Me, Mine" was supposedly about all that crap.

In their ANTHOLOGY tapes, there's several scenes of the remaining Beatles sitting around a table or in a room seemingly getting along pretty well. I suppose after John's death and their advancing ages, they finally figured out that life's too short for such nonsense. Too bad it took THAT to get it through. I've seen the same sort of thing in families. The Mom or Dad dies, and all of a sudden, the long feuding, estranged siblings all of a sudden start loving each other again.

Whitefang

d, I think already established bands/artists can go years betwen releases. That`s been a thing for a while-partly because of the `right of first refusal` held by major labels. It`s unlikely anyone would sit still for that from a new act.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Let's make a short comparison....

In the seven years The Beatles were together as a recording group, they put out 16-17 LPs of mostly all original studio recorded material. And that's NOT including about another two LPs worth of stuff that never made it onto an LP. That's ONE "established" band.

The Dave Matthews band, touting their 25 YEARS of recording this year, has only 7 CDs(or LPs if you will) in THREE TIMES the time span!

And The Beatles recorded and released the BULK of their discography amid probably one of the most busy and grueling tour schedules in rock'n'roll history. AND made TWO MOVIES to boot!

They obviously had much more at stake, but each member, particularily Lennon and McCartney, seemed to handle things a bit poorly.

Whitefang

Archived