Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

d/l Yamaha manuals with Opera, Chrome & Firefox?

icarusi

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chrome handles downloads differently than Explorer and Firefox. I first downloads to its cache before asking if you want to open or save them. If you're on a computer that's locked down with security may not have accessed to the cache folder. Have you tried right clicking and choosing save target as rather than just clicking? This should allow you to specify where you want the file saved to.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Chrome handles downloads differently than Explorer and Firefox. I first downloads to its cache before asking if you want to open or save them. If you're on a computer that's locked down with security may not have accessed to the cache folder. Have you tried right clicking and choosing save target as rather than just clicking? This should allow you to specify where you want the file saved to.

Tried the 'save as' in Opera/Chrome and it saved the 'download' file 14kb but not the actual file. The browser bottom panel inset wasn't showing the correct filename either. It's the only file Opera *and* Chrome have failed to d/l.

I download a lot of Yamaha manuals and what I've noticed is that different Yamaha sites handle this differently. The UK site does seem to open the document in the browser and then you can save it if desired. On the other hand, the US site downloads the file rather than opens it. My suggestion is to try going to Yamaha's US site to download the manuals you want and see if that helps.
Michael Rideout

OK, the Yamaha US is not designed to allow right click and save target as.

Yamaha US Motif ES8 downloads

When you right-click on a manual/PDF link and attempt to save target as, it gives you only the HTML. If you directly left click it, it downloads with the browser's default method for handling file download.

Here is a quick tutorial on how to change the default downloads folder in Chrome:

http://www.howtogeek.com/231002/how-to-change-the-chrome-download-folder-location/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah, I have my browser set to download rather than open a file, and that works as it's supposed to (in my opinion) with Yamaha's US site. But with the same settings and same browser, clicking on a link to download a manual from their UK site will pop up the "download" bar as expected, but when the download ends the document opens up in Adobe Reader and I must save it, as it was apparently just a temp file. To me, the US site is working the way I'd prefer, since it doesn't require an extra step (saving the document after it's been opened).

As for right-clicking, you can tell whether that will work by hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if the target URL ends in "html" or "pdf," since that's what will be saved.

Michael Rideout

Archived