Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tokyo Sex Destruction

Just walked in the door from seeing the Spanish (and I don't mean "hi" spanic, I mean from Spain) band Tokyo Sex Destruction at local Ogden club Brewski's...

I had no idea what I was in for since I hadn't planned on even going to this club tonight. My wife and I had been to a local comedy club & just decided to shoot over and see what was up.

After the first two bands, I was pretty well ready to call it a night, but something about the closer's name made me want to hang to at least check out a song or two (truth be told I thought/hoped they were from Japan & would at least be interesting).

Tokyo Sex Destruction were half way into their first song when I got back from getting another pitcher of Polygamy Porter (a semi-fine microbrew that I'm sure pisses off a goodly portion of the local population).

It was immediately apparent that TSD were not from Japan. They could have been Americans, Brits, Aussies, Canadiens, or whatever but Spanish didn't really cross my mind.

Anyway, to cut the story short, these guys kicked some serious ass! If you put together The Strokes, the MC5, The Doors, and The Cult, maybe you'd get TSD. The lead singer (the whole band really) was just a firecracker, raw energy. He definately took a page or three from Mick Jagger (i.e. James Brown) but definately pulled it off.

According the their drummer, who I spoke with briefly after their set, their next shows are in Seattle, then Portand. I haven't seen a band that made me want to throw things and break shit in a long time. If you get a chance to check them out, I'd highly recommend it!

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have liked to have caught that show. Only 20 minutes from where I am. Oh well, just hit my 79th hour of work this week and I still have tomorrow to go. Are they playing two nights by chance?
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

From what their drummer said, it souned like they were going to be heading out for Seattle right away. You could give the club a call though and find out for sure.

They got a really great response (even a uniformed Ogden cop bought one of their CDs after the show) so maybe they'll have them back.

As an interesting side note, the previous band (Bullet Train To Vegas, who I thoroughly did not enjoy) let these guys use their gear: a really nice vintage Ampeg bass amp, Marshall half stack, and a nice looking set of Spaun drums.

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Originally posted by Botch.:

If any of us hear that they're returning for another gig, we'll have to get together; can't believe we still haven't met each other.

Me neither! I've been meaning to catch one of your shows somewhere and introduce myself, but I've become such a pathetic homebody lately...

But us Ogdenites definately need to hook up sometime/someplace!

Originally posted by AlanThomas:

From what their drummer said, it souned like they were going to be heading out for Seattle right away. You could give the club a call though and find out for sure.

They got a really great response (even a uniformed Ogden cop bought one of their CDs after the show) so maybe they'll have them back.

As an interesting side note, the previous band (Bullet Train To Vegas, who I thoroughly did not enjoy) let these guys use their gear: a really nice vintage Ampeg bass amp, Marshall half stack, and a nice looking set of Spaun drums.

Funny. I recorded Bullet Train To Vegas. About a week later I found out that since they could actually HEAR the singer now, they realized how terrible he was and they ALL quit. All of them.

From what I heard he went out and found all new members and kept going with the name(he wrote all of the songs).

I gotta tell ya, though, they were pretty bad ass with the old members!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived