Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I had a lot of problems with my ibook 500mhz but...I disabled Virtual memory and

everything in reason plays perfectly, like no latency, i have 320 megs of ram and 150 allocated to reason, no problems since this is my first mac i was wondering if this was a good idea to do, obviously Reason loves it but what about for other things are there any cons to disabling virual memory in os 9.1, also if you know anything about pc's would it be a good idea to do for reason and sonar on a pc to disable the virtual memory in win 98se or win 2000?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a knowen fact that most music application don't work at all with virtual memory on (on Mac) Most of them let you know and you can't even launch them if you have VM on. It doesn't effect anything else , you just have less Ram to work with , but with the cost of more ram today you can easily buy more if you feel you need it. (you should probably buy as much as you can afford) About the Pc I know nothing; :D Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

To this day, I have yet to find one good reason for the existence of Virtual Memory. Hard drives are huge, memory sticks are cheap...in short, it's an Albatross, imho. Everything I've ever used on the Mac--graphics, audio, word--suffers when VM is enabled. Disable it, and fuggeddaboudit. (Now, didn't we tell you to get more RAM? Hmmm? Get on it, sir. You'll be glad you did.)
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

offramp, it wasn't all that long ago that I set up graphic workstations and paid over $15,000 for the same amount of memory that you can now get for $50. The 30 megabyte (not gigabyte!) hard drives were $2000 each, too. You are right, though... it's like having a starter crank on a car engine now; it's just hard to get some companies to throw anything away.

yea the ibook saved my sanity, I sold my vs1680, my athlons in the crapper, at least i can go have some coffee and make beats with the ibook til it all gets sorted out. guitar center just got the new software by Ableton called "live" it looks like a beat makers dream tool, the only thing thats come close to acid, and even better if all their claims are true. people seem to love the demo, though i have'nt tried it yet, it would be great to get Craigs opinion of it.

Archived