Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Kronos owners

Sam Mullins

Hi Kronos experts. I'm considering a purchase of a Kronos to replace my MOXF6 but need to make sure i can do what I want.

I would have the Kronos and my Nord Stage 2 Midi'd together (Kronos OUT -> Stage IN, Stage OUT -> Kronos IN)

Here is a typical example of my needs for a song:

Kronos:

-------

Lower keyboard -> drives internal Kronos sound A

Upper keyboard -> drives Nord Stage sound N on Channel 10

Nord:

-----

Drives two Kronos sounds (B and C) both on channel 15 (using Nord external section). B and C respond to two different key ranges (i.e. the split is being implemented on the Kronos side).

The critical thing is that the Kronos keyboard not trigger sounds B and C at all (i.e. they are only triggered from the Nord Stage).

I've scanned the user manual and my understanding is that I would set up a Combination with the following Timbres:

Timbre 1:

--------

Sound A

Keyboard zone: lower keyboard range

MIDI Channel: Gch

Timbre 2:

---------

Keyboard zone: higher keyboard range

MIDI Channel: 10

Timbre 3:

--------

Sound B

Keyboard zone: range for sound B

MIDI Channel: 15

Timbre 4:

--------

Sound C

Keyboard zone: range for sound C

MIDI Channel: 15

Is this correct? Specifically, does the fact that Timbre's 3 and 4 are set up for channel 15 (and NOT "Gch") mean that they won't get triggered from the Kronos keyboard?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming the Kronos is the upper in this scenario as you're talking about replacing a MoXF6. Based on the description above, timbres 3 and 4 look right. But I think there's something wrong with timbres 1 and 2. I'm not in front of my Kronos right now, but I think the keyboard itself will only trigger timbres set to the global channel.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

It should work as expected. I set up my Electro 4D to send on MIDI Channel 15 and created a COMBI like you posted. The Nord triggers timbres 3 and 4 which I had split at middle C. The Kronos only plays back timbre 1. I split it so timbre 2 is going out EXT midi channel 10, which it does. My only issue in testing this is I don't have a Stage and hence am restricted to having the Electro on either on MIDI channel 15 or 10 but not both.

Should work.

Busch.

Thanks for the clarification on the Kronos transmit channels Busch. I use the Kronos as an upper board, but just a controller for the bottom.

Sam, if you do get a Kronos I highly recommend downloading the sounds Busch has made available. They're fantastic.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

A Nord Stage + Kronos is a killer rig. I used this for a while until I needed more romper-type sounds than the Nord provided (e.g., strings, brass). The only problem I experienced was that I could not get the Kronos APs/EPs to play nicely from the NS keybed, no matter how much I screwed around with the velocity settings on both keyboards. Moot point if you are content with the Stage's APs/EPs.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

A Nord Stage + Kronos is a killer rig. I used this for a while until I needed more romper-type sounds than the Nord provided (e.g., strings, brass).

So are you saying you needed better strings and brass when you were using the Nord Stage only? Or were you not satisfied with the Kronos strings and brass as well?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

My rig was a Nord Stage 88 and Kronos 61. I was very pleased with the strings and brass in the Kronos. I just needed more of those type of sounds (and better quality) out of the Stage. So I replaced the the NS88 with a Jupiter-80. However, since I no longer had a weighted action, I had to trade the K61 for a K88.:crazy: So my current rig is a Kronos 88 and Jupiter-80, and I now have hundreds of high-quality sounds to select from either keyboard. Love the tones....the weight not so much.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My rig was a Nord Stage 88 and Kronos 61. I was very pleased with the strings and brass in the Kronos. I just needed more of those type of sounds (and better quality) out of the Stage. So I replaced the the NS88 with a Jupiter-80. However, since I no longer had a weighted action, I had to trade the K61 for a K88.:crazy: So my current rig is a Kronos 88 and Jupiter-80, and I now have hundreds of high-quality sounds to select from either keyboard. Love the tones....the weight not so much.

Got it. If it weren't for the weight of the K88, I might consider replacing the Stage with it. (And then probably replace the MOXF with a Prophet 6 or an OB6) But I've pretty much decided I will never again buy anything bigger or heavier than the Stage 88. I lugged around an S90ES for years and loved it ....except in the morning when my back was killing me.

www.stickmanor.com

Archived