Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DVD-A /system configuration question??

Im about to take the plunge and replace my old digital stereo controller / pre amp- (SONY ES reference series circa 1992) with the benchmark DAC1 in order to get the benefit of a decades worth of improvements in converters.

At this time my main use is straight 2 channel stereo audio.

However, As the advent of DVD-A MAY come about in a big way I'd like to stay flexible to accomodate this. Not all the DVD-A titles include a 2 channel stereo mix.

Heres my question. Is there a multi-channel decoder unit or pre-amp that will output digitally just the 2 front stereo channels?

This would allow me to use the DAC1 for those main channels even when listening to a 5.1 mix.

Is there some other method someone can imagine to get what im after here?

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be misunderstanding your intent or your preferred path, but -

all DVD-audio (and SACD) players have a 6 channel, minus 10 audio jack pack. The left and right front are 2 of the 6 channels.

L R C LS RS SW

The conventional Left/Right stereo pair is a downmix.

Originally posted by spokenward:

I might be misunderstanding your intent or your preferred path, but -

all DVD-audio (and SACD) players have a 6 channel, minus 10 audio jack pack. The left and right front are 2 of the 6 channels.

L R C LS RS SW

The conventional Left/Right stereo pair is a downmix.

What Im looking for is a digital out for the two main L/R channels so I an use this spiffy two channel DAC to convert the digital to audio- while still sending the remainin surround channels via audio outs to the other speakers.

My Pioneer DV45A, for example, will send a two-channel signal from the player via its digital output.

The 2ch signal can be your choice of a dedicated 2ch mix (if available on the disk) or a downmixed 2ch output.

I would make sure that the bit/sampling rate of the outputs and the inputs agree with each other.

Originally posted by spokenward:

The digital outs of a DVD-audio player only present a bitstream at the lower sample rates. They don't pass the higher rate and resolution audio.

I'm not aware of any players that allow you to peek behind the curtain.

True.

Not even the PC based cards like the Audigy DVD-whatever.

High security=self-limiting sales.

Originally posted by Kendrix:

What Im looking for is a digital out for the two main L/R channels so I an use this spiffy two channel DAC to convert the digital to audio- while still sending the remainin surround channels via audio outs to the other speakers.

No can do, bro. The consumer digital audio transfer formats (SPDIF and TosLink) do not support MLP (the compression scheme used on DVD-A) nor DSD (the SACD format)

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by Kendrix:

No can do, bro. The consumer digital audio transfer formats (SPDIF and TosLink) do not support MLP (the compression scheme used on DVD-A) nor DSD (the SACD format)
I thought DVD-A was PCM coding like the consumer formats- No??

IN any cae here seems to be no way to do whati want to do- my audiophile shoip salso say this is so.

This sucks.

So, Im forced to choose the best converters for stereo only --Or to get a consumer system capable of the DVD-A including multi channel multi channel formats and give up on the audiophile quality DAC.

Life just aint fair.

This demonstrates another advangage of analog/vinyl - none of this format war BS.

I guess you should just hold out hope that SACD becomes the predominant one of the two if either one of them takes off. Most if not all SACDs have a stereo mix on them since it started out without surround at all.

So what should I look for when I decide to buy an SACD player. Are there hybrid players that do both DVD-A and SACD?

Any brands/types I should avoid? Sony pushes some SACD players for pretty low prices...

Stirring shit up since 1968

Archived