Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played on the Casio GP300 GP500 Roland HP605 LX-7

stillplaying

Went in to buy a Roland HP508 PE (polished ebony).

Discontinued / withdrawn.

Anyway, I spent a few hours playing the four mentioned above (and one by Yamaha and a cheaper one by Casio).

First of all, I'm still impressed by how pleasant each model was to play. Digital pianos have come a long way.

The Casios were both very acoustic piano like to play. The GP500 is noticeably better. It felt like playing a good, well maintained upright. I've accompaniment work where they provide a Steinway upright. The GP500 was as good or better than the uprights I've played other than that Steinway.

The headphone output wasn't powerful enough to properly drive my DT990 Pros (250 ohms). The key cover, when closed, pokes up in an odd toblerone like fashion and the buttons / display aren't hidden away like the Roland - or I'd have bought it. I still might.

The LX-7 didn't sound as good as the discontinued HP508. Not as rich / deep - I tried adjusting the settings (easy to do). Still impressive but I was disappointed that this is the "new improved" product. It's too bright. Not easy on the ears.

No issue with the headphone output on the Rolands - better sound than through the speakers.

I'll be buying one of them - if I can't source the HP508PE that I wanted.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stillgigging,

I went up to Denmark Street in central London last week and had a play on a few pianos Kawai, Casio and Roland. I really liked the GP300 but there's not enough sounds on it for me. I have a Casio PX5-S and I'm spoilt for choice, so I'll probably end up getting the replacement for it when it's released.

I have to agree with you on how much digital pianos have come on over the years. Some of the gloss black finish D.P.'s would grace any home with their appearance.

Chris

@Chris - which digital Kawai did you get to try? I actually spent the whole time just on the piano sounds as I'm looking for an acoustic replacement. The PX5S you have is a great piece of kit.

@EJF - prices. The Casio GP-300 and the Roland HP605 are similar, just over £2000. The polished ebony finish on the Roland puts it up by another £300 or so. They didn't have a PE one in the shop but it looked great on the older HP508.

The GP-500 and the LX-7 are both around £3000. The GP-500 has that PE look as standard, the Roland would be another £300 or so. The finish on the Roland I saw looked cheap next to the GP-500.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived