Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf Blofeld MIDI Sustain Problem

unrelatednotes

While playing back a MIDI track using the Blofeld (version 1.23, keyboard firmware version 1.4), I've come across an issue where the sustain pedal events will drop out randomly. During the recording of the MIDI track, this doesn't happen.

I've tried playing the MIDI track on another synth without any issues. Initially, I thought my sustain pedal was acting up; however, I switched it out and the problem persists. I've also ensured my DAW's MIDI buffers are set high enough to avoid any playback hiccups.

Is this another one of the Blofeld's many quirks? Is there a fix for it? The workaround is to record the audio at the same time as the MIDI track which is fine, but wondering if there is a direct solution.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of questions:

I've tried playing the MIDI track on another synth without any issues.

1. How are you connecting the Blofeld and the other synth to your computer? USB, or through a MIDI interface?

2. Does your other synth have a MIDI Thru port?

3. Do you have any other sequencer? If not hardware, even a phone/tablet with a MIDI interface would also serve the purpose.

The best way to begin troubleshooting such issues is to check where the problem is - in the DAW, in the Blofeld, or somewhere inbetween. 2 and 3 above will help in that regard.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

A couple of questions:

I've tried playing the MIDI track on another synth without any issues.

1. How are you connecting the Blofeld and the other synth to your computer? USB, or through a MIDI interface?

2. Does your other synth have a MIDI Thru port?

3. Do you have any other sequencer? If not hardware, even a phone/tablet with a MIDI interface would also serve the purpose.

The best way to begin troubleshooting such issues is to check where the problem is - in the DAW, in the Blofeld, or somewhere inbetween. 2 and 3 above will help in that regard.

- Guru

1. Blofeld is connected to computer using a MOTU midi interface.

2. I tested it using a soft synth.

3. No.

I did find via a Google search the following: Roberson Audio Synth Review: Waldord Blofeld review, pt. 2. The author states that "[o]n a somewhat frequent basis, the sustain signal from the sustain pedal gets dropped, so notes will stop holding at strange times."

I've checked where the problems are and am 99.9% certain it's with the Blofeld itself. Just trying to find out if anyone here has encountered the problem and/or has a fix.

• 6 months later...

Hi. Last week I noticed that that my Blofeld desktop sometimes does not hold the notes when I activate my sustain pedal. I used to play Blofeld only as special effects noises, but then tried to use it as an electric piano or something, and noticed this bug. Can't seem to identify the exact reason. It's a pity because now I feel that Blofeld, that has a great sound, is not fully usable because of what seems to be a simple issue.

I wrote a message in Waldorf forum but yet nobody answered. I sent a similar message to Waldorf support and they are on holyday and will be back on day 10 of october.

I came to this forum since I was searching for an answer for this bug and found this message. Have you found any solution?

Archived