Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help!! Track assembly nightmare..

I was hired to record a live show a week ago and only after showing up did I find out the power distribution system was tits up... major hum.

However, the house sound guy had his computer up and running and recorded the entire show (a three piece acoustic folk group) to six tracks.

I made a deal with him to buy the tracks and he just sent me eight CD's four tracks on each of them..

The problem is he must have just randomly picked the tracks to put on the CD's. I've got track one and two from the first 20 minutes of the show from one vocal mic and one instrument mic and two tracks from somewhere else in the show of two instrument mics on one CD. The other vocal mics and instrument mics and house feed stereo tracks are scattered around on the other seven CD's.

No time codes, no idea what track goes to which song without listening to the track and trying to hear the vocal bleed. Each track is 180 meg and there is also a stereo 360 meg track of the house feed..on some CD's..

I have no idea how to assemble these tracks and no point of referrence to know which track goes where.

Any suggestions?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What software are you using?

If you use Pro Tools you can create a new session and import all the audio files into the Audio Regions list (Choose Import audio from the Audio regions list pop-up menu). After you have all your files listed in there you can go through systematically and see what each file contains by dragging them in and out of a track. Use the stereo files as a reference. Then assemble them from there. It'll take some time but that's the best solution I can think of.

Better yet, why not ask the guy you bought the files from to re-do them in order or have him create a list of what's on each CD.

Good luck - it sounds like you're going to need it.

Jeff

Originally posted by MusicMedicine:

What software are you using?

I'm using Adobe Audition (Cool Edit Pro).

If you use Pro Tools you can create a new session and import all the audio files into the Audio Regions list (Choose Import audio from the Audio regions list pop-up menu). After you have all your files listed in there you can go through systematically and see what each file contains by dragging them in and out of a track. Use the stereo files as a reference. Then assemble them from there. It'll take some time but that's the best solution I can think of.

I can do that with Audition, the problem is the files are all over the place.

I opened on CD today and found the house two track mix...57 minutes of it.. Plus a bass track that appears to be plucked out of the middle of a song and only lasted four minutes.

I actually got enough tracks assmebled to get a pretty good sound and since it's a pretty loosie goosie kind of an event anyway...

Thanks for the advice.. The sound guy has already erased the tracks in his computer..he doesn't save them.

Better yet, why not ask the guy you bought the files from to re-do them in order or have him create a list of what's on each CD.

Good luck - it sounds like you're going to need it.

Jeff[/QB]

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Here's what to do, I used to do this all the time back in the Army:

- Get a wall sized corkboard or a bunch of tape.

- Print out copies of all the waveforms for all the tracks.

- Code each printed page with the filename it is associated with.

- Assemble the pieces on your board. This is the easy part.

- Use the assembled paper tracks as a guide to put the audio together.

- Mix to taste.

Or, just pay Bunny his $300; that is a great deal.

Good idea about the time stamping. I never thought of that.

Thanks all, I will give it a try.

Mark G.

Archived