Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nick Drake and his guitar sound

An earlier post about micing an acoustic guitar got me thinking about an acoustic guitar sound from the '60s that I really like - Nick Drake's guitar sound. It's lovely, and really supports the (brilliant) songs well. Does anyone know, for instance, the details of what is involved here? What kind of guitar, mics, signal chain, and other things? Just curious.

And if you haven't heard Nick Drake's music, have a listen. I think the music is deeply moving and very well written and performed.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol!

I'm a HUGE Nick Drake fan. The guy was a genius.

As for the technical stuff, I saw a program about him a year or two ago but I can't remember much about the exact gear used. To be honest, I don't think it matters much. He was one of those rare people who had the sounds in his fingers, not in any signal chain.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Joe Boyd. He produced and engineered. I bet he has website or search him on Google. Witchseason was his production company and label I think. Something like that anyway. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but there's also an out-of-print Mojo mag issue on Nick and Acoustic Guitar had a feature a few years ago. Good luck.

Whatever it is, it's beautiful. Melancholy, sure, but beautiful. Wow. Joe Boyd did 'em, yeah, that's what I heard. Actually, he's featured in the latest The Wire Magazine (not Wired, but The Wire). No mention of this signal chain, though. I know that it doesn't matter nearly as much as the player and all. That's true with any great player anyway, but I was still curious. You could put some people like him in front of a Radio Shack microphone going into a digital phone machine and it'd still sound amazing. I'm in awe.

Joe Boyd was the producer of the first two albums: "Five Leaves Left," and "Bryter Layter."

All three records were engineered by John Wood, who later went on to work with Squeeze...he might be able to tell you something about the signal chain, but most of the tone was in Nick's hands...

He played a small-body Guild, more like a classical guitar...

peace to all,

SC

"If the machine produces tranquillity, it's right."

---Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I'm listening to Damien Rice right now. Some of these songs are reminicient of Nick Drake. Particularly with the combination of acoustic guitar and cello throughout the album. Good stuff! :cool:

nick definitely played a guild with dead strings and strange floppy tunings.

you should try transcribing that stuff :freak:

it's genius though, you really can't duplicate his personality.

here's an obsessive fan site:

http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/NDabc.html

duncan sheik did a tour playing nick drake's music. i didn't get a chance to catch any of the shows, but that takes some balls to try to pull that off.

you should check out kelly joe phelps. he's the modern american nick drake mixed with doc boggs. he's an extraordinary slide guitar player and singer. just as gifted and dark.

Archived