Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DVD Movie Sound Screwy

I watched Pirates of the Caribbean the other night and noticed that the music was mixed way too high such that it effectively drowned out the dialog. I rented the Secret Lives of Dentists and ran into the same problem. I had to end up watching the former with subtitles in order to understand what the hell was going on. In both cases I had all the sound settings normal and wasn't using any of that surround sound stuff.

Anyone have any insight into why the music was SO LOUD?

Support bacteria: they're the only culture some people have.

- Steven Wright

visit my website at patrickwalsh.net

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the polarity on your speaker cables, component cables, everything. My new TV even lets me change the polarity (some call it phase) of the internal speakers. My guess is that you've partially cancelled out the center signal. I bet everything sounds kind of mono too.

By the way, The Secret Lives of Dentists?!? If that's the kind of movie it sounds like, don't worry. There isn't any dialog.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived