Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alternatives to the Kawai VPC1 Midi Controller

ableton82

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a realistic feeling midi controller and from everything I've read, the Kawai VCP1 offers an incredible experience. If that is out of my price range and I'm looking for something slightly more affordable, what would you suggest? Or in other words, what comes 2nd to the VCP1?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, just to clarify, it's the VPC1, not VCP1. :)

Secondly, given that you're coming from an upright acoustic piano, not a grand, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be satisfied with either the RD800 or CP4 discussed in your first thread, in conjunction with whatever software piano floats your boat, be it Ivory II, Ravenscroft, etc, etc, etc.

Well, I heartily endorse The CME UF80 :)

Since you're new, I'll explain that there's pics of me and the CME floating around the interwebs. I have 2 and use both regularly. One is in my writing room and I use it to play software pianos frequently. I think you have to find the one that feels best to you though. It's absolutely a matter of personal preference. Prior to the CME I used several others with preference for ones from Elka and Peavey, but both are no longer available. The CME may not be available either for all I know, but it was perhaps the "best bang for buck", inexpensive and feels pretty good.

When you find the action you like, research what it is. Most are Fatars of one kind or another, many are then modified by individual companies to their specs. If you like something in a stage piano, you may find the same action available as just a controller elsewhere.

SL88 Grand perhaps. Put it on you list if you can't afford the VPC1. $899 seems like a fair price:

[video:youtube]

I didnt like the surface of the keys, the material somehow felt unnaturall to me...

The action however is great... The controlls too...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

The Physis.

Sorry posted too quick. The Physis costs more than the VPC-1. But it is the only true dyed in blue controller being built today. The Controller market is almost dead. It is just to affordable today to install on board sounds. The Kronos is actually an excellent controller as well. If 4 zones are adequate and you do not need multiple expression pedals the Kawai MP-7 is good.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If open to buying used, you can get something like the cp5 at a good price. I've seen older Kawai boards, mostly in the ES series, also for sale on Guitar Center's site...though I'm not sure how the ES line measures up to the MP11, which I thought had the nicest key feel I've ever played in a digital instrument. Older Roland boards are pretty cheap as well, though I've never really liked Roland's piano feel. There's also the Casio px range. Feel is so subjective it's really hard to give good advice...I tend to like lighter action since I've mostly played on a lighter-action upright.

I've been using a VPC-1 for a while now, and it really is a great controller. Even so, I'm getting rid of it for the VAXmidi controller....it just suits my needs much better. It's also cheaper than the VPC-1 and may be worth looking at.

Another option to check out would be looking at the used market for other Kawai Digital Pianos. They're also fantastic controllers (much more full featured than the VPC-1) and also have fantastic keyboard actions, maybe not as good as the VPC, but very close. most of them still use wooden, long throw key actions. The kicker is, I'm seeing them sold SUPER cheap...like shockingly cheap. I just saw an MP-9500 on reverb.com for $350!! And the much newer MP11 was up for less than $800 (whoops, sorry...that was an auction, not the final price,,,) . I used an MP-9500 for ages....it makes a fantastic controller. The action is a bit heavy, but it still kills the crop of affordable 88 note controllers that have been dominating the market over the past years.

I hope any of this helps your search!

Archived