Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Volca Beats

Morizzle

Hi there,

I'm looking for an easy to program, cheap-ish drum machine. I don't need anything too complex or realistic sounding acoustic drum sounds.

So I checked out a few videos of the Korg Volca Beats and it seems fit. Anyone here use one? Pros and cons?

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi there,

I'm looking for an easy to program, cheap-ish drum machine. I don't need anything too complex or realistic sounding acoustic drum sounds.

So I checked out a few videos of the Korg Volca Beats and it seems fit. Anyone here use one? Pros and cons?

I've had one for a while. It's a lot of fun and very easy to use. A couple of things to be aware of: You CAN NOT do a "song mode" - if you want to change patterns you need to manually do it. Also, the snare is very anemic - there's a whole thing on this to the point where people think Korg messed up a resister and mod it themselves.

Strongly advise you to take a look at the Volca Sample. Same price, but has a song mode and, as the name suggests, you can load in your own samples if you want. It comes with a ton of really nice drum samples so you probably won't ever need to do that - but it's nice to have.

If I could pick only one, it's the Sample all day.

Thanks for the tip! I will check that out!

No problem. :) If you want one more option in that price range, the Alesis SR-16 is $150 and is pretty much the gold standard in budget drum machines. Not as *fun* as the Volcas, but worth a look and see if it fits your needs.

Archived