Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audition - I am in a band again

EddiePlaysBass

So I went to the audition yesterday. It was fun to play tunes again with a real live band! I was asked to prepare 5 tunes, ended up learning around 8 and playing 9 songs. One of them (Lonely Boy by The Black Keys) I only had a vague idea of how it went but we played through it a few times and it rocked :)

On to the band ...

Awesome drummer / percussionist he is the only professional musician of the lot: teaches drums, djembe and percussion, plays in 4 to 5 bands etc. Does not have any job other than hitting stuff. Good voice, too but he does not do backing vocals apparently. Shame!

Singer is better than average, has a good voice for grungy stuff (Live, Pearl Jam). Weird falsetto but he makes it work somehow. If he acts on stage like he does in rehearsals, he will come across great!

The guitarist is, in my opinion, the weakest link. Very good rhythm guitarist, and he can riff a good bit but no solos all night. That was a let-down, for me. Not sure he will (want to) incorporate solo's at some point.

I see that going one of three ways:

1. Nothing changes (which is fine, the sound as is works);

2. He incorporates a solo here and there;

3. He gets frustrated and quits.

The last would be a shame as he is a founding member. Maybe they will eventually attract a solo guitarist. Right now, it is a good opportunity for me to stretch a bit and find my voice. He has a bassy tone so in order for me to cut through I will need to tweak my own sound. He plays rhythmically so I can (and should) strive for melodicism in my playing. Its a challenge but I can at least give it a try.

They are very, VERY excited at the idea of me playing electric upright (and ukulele) on at least part of the material. That alone is sufficient for me to give it a go, cos I know nothing boosts your skills like frequent exercise :)

They (obviously) said I would be able to contribute song ideas (yes, it's a cover band) and I have been thinking already about some possible additions. One of those is "Baggy Trousers" by Madness. It would probably fit this outfit like a glove, and give me some nice bass lines to go crazy with :) Another one I am thinking of is "My Generation" by The Who. Wonder if they'll go for it, but for now I am focusing on learning 32 current songs (well, 8 or so down!).

So I am in a band again! I did tell them about the upcoming reunion of my other band (Dapper Dans) just to be honest and stuff.

Speaking of honesty, I wonder if they were 100% honest about the average of gigs they have each year. The guitarist told me they average about 10 gigs per year but the singer said they have a hard time taking off. Still, theres gigs booked in March and April and they want me to try and do both which is looking feasible.

We will see :) The hang seems good (the drummer and I had some alpha male moments but I think a bit of mutual respect grew towards the end of the audition) and the two gigs they have are close to home and paid. Paid gigs! That's been years ... :rolleyes:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very good rhythm guitarist, and he can riff a good bit but no solos all night.

Cherish that, a band with a good rhythm guitarist is hard to find, lead wankers are a dime-a-dozen.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Eddie, I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate news. I wish you all the best and hope you come out of it OK.

Thanks, bNb!! :grin:

When it rains, it pours:

- I joined this band;

- I get requested to do a Dapper Dans reunion (the rockabilly thing)

- I get a request to play bass in a new blues project;

- the drummer and one guitarist of my old blues band approach me to do a new project

All in the space of a week??? What happened???

Haha heaven forbid! I did get in touch with one of the singers that they/we auditioned and hired during my exit period, because she has apparently also quit - and I am always curious :grin:

As for the new blues project: it's about 45 minutes from where I live. The guy who initiated it wants to build it around a woman with pretty decent vocals. Who also plays bass ... I told him I am not interested in this particular project due to the distance. Open to working with him, though cos even though he's not the best guitarist out there, he gets loads of gigs!

As for the old blues band guys ... Guitarist seems eager to have me. Probably because their original bass player has moved on and they need someone. This is the drummer who hoped I would approve of bringing in a singer who would also play bass (rendering me useless and out of the band - but all in the best interest of the band) and the guitarist who did not fight hard to keep me. Combined with a singer who is not as good as she thinks, a repertoire which does not seem to catch on cos they never gigged more than 3 times in two years - despite a well-produced demo ... Yeah think I will pass!

Had my first rehearsal with the acoustic band yesterday. The guitarist added some solo-ish stuff here and there. Drummer and I got along better than during the audition. At one point the whole band complimented me for keeping time so well, and the drummer proceeded by saying he tends to speed up :eek: That's a first for me!

I am not exactly at the top of my game yet, have to find my place and style for this band, and get their repertoire under my belt. I spent the weekend learning 5 songs, of which two threw me off. Yesterday the guitarist said: "I hope you didn't learn this and that song, cos we do that with just guitar and vocals". Guess which two those were ...

I told them I may potentially not be able to do the March gig, but will definitely be there for the April gig. At which point the guitarist said he's looking forward to all of us doing the March gig. When I replied I would likely not be present, he said: "It'd be great if you could play at least one set." I then told him the issue is not so much knowing the songs as it is being physically present to play them :grin:

But all in all, I think this could end up being fun! I took the electric upright with me and played it on a lot of songs (including AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie" - which I think sealed the deal for the drummer :grin:) and plan on incorporating it on a lot more songs! Now let's wait for the drama :grin:

Second rehearsal yesterday, so far all is going well. Some songs do not really work IMHO but at this point I want to learn the entire set before suggesting we drop one or two songs.

During a FB chat I told the guitarist that I had learned the guitar solo's in "Kryptonite" (basically just a pentatonic run) and lo and behold, when we got to that song he said: "Guys, I think I will play a solo on this one." Attaboy :)

Drummer and I get along well. He drags on one or two tracks and speeds up on others, but I suppose I can say the same thing about myself. All in all I am glad I made the move to join this gang. They're fun, the repertoire is diverse and with a bit of luck I will be on stage with them 5 weeks from now.

One thing that worries me: I heard the drummer say that when playing live he'll add cymbals to his kit, and the guitarist mentioned pedals. Neither get used during rehearsal so I may find myself amidst a totally different sounding band :eek:

Archived