Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Memorymoog thread

Atomicsynth

I couldn't find any in search so I started one. I've been the original owner of mine since the 80s. It was out of use for decades as a certain tech formerly in business in upstate NY did bad work causing a lot of damage.

Finally I had to have it working again and commenced a 4 month troubleshooting repair.

After locating a half dozen on so blown chips along with a rare Beckman array failure and repair (found with remote help from a genius German tech) and repairing many damaged board traces, I needed to do something about the stock Power Supply, which is terrible in the MM, a huge source of heat and highly prone to failure (which happened at least three times in the past) so I replaced the supply with a new switching supply, SMD based and next to no heat. This enabled me to get rid of the bulky transformer, the fan, the fuse and the heatsink.

The new supply I purchased from my German friend, who designed it, now in Rev.2 since he went out on his own from a former partner, is nothing short of fantastic!. The VCO'S now stay in tune better than ever and the synth benefits greatly from the next to no heat environment. Should anyone be interested, it is the same supply (but in rev. 2) Retrolinear installs (which they buy from the designer's former partner). But that company only sells to "approved service centers" whereas the genius who again actually designed the supply is selling his at roughly half the cost direct to end users. I put mine in myself. The install was straightforward, drilling four holes along with a couple of modifications on the top side of the Memorymoog Digital Board. Some would and should have a tech do the work if they have no experience working on the synth.

Anyway, now using the synth again, my highly biased opinion is its the greatest analog poly ever made and nothing else sounds like it. It's also now reliable as the new supply now actively controls what was originally a poorly designed reset circuit in the Memorymoog. The CPU and Ram are now fully protected even in the unlikely event of supply failure.

Here's some pics of the new supply. Other Memorymoog related pics and clips are also on my instagram channel.

https://instagram.com/p/55BWduKQ7o/

https://instagram.com/p/55B71LKQ9H/

https://instagram.com/p/5WGgCdqQ7S/

https://instagram.com/p/6UKBtkqQ08/

Best wishes

Atomicsynth

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it is the greatest 'Poly' of all time. I really liked the Jupiter 8. To me the MM is a great poly that makes the greatest lead synth of all time. Those 18 oscillators in unison mode are killer.

My favorite quote on the MM comes from Moe in response to a post I made regarding the glory of those 18 oscillators in unison. He said something to the effect of "and those 18 oscillators can also heat your house in the wintertime".

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Ahh, it's not the "19" 3340 VCO'S, CEB, (one Curtis is the LFO on the Common Analog Board ) but rather the stock Memorymoog power supply which will literally heat your basement because the thing runs so hot.

I really like the Jupiter too but I don't have one. Since you mentioned it though, the supply designer builds them for Jupiters and Prophets too, among others.

I agree completely with your remarks regarding the MM being a very powerful lead synth (even in poly mode) Mono with all 18 ganged up will irritate your guitarist (which was always fun!)

Poly here....

https://instagram.com/p/59H7s_qQ1o/

(The green glow is the Leds of the new supply)

And thank you Tom for your kind welcome!

Adding in, what makes a Memorymoog sound like nothing else is (in addition to three Curtis 3340 VCO'S per voice (18 VCOs), the LPF on each voice card is a discrete Moog ladder, as shown here.

https://instagram.com/p/4Pqni3KQzg/

Lastly, the 3080 transconductance amplifier on the output stage of each voice card can be driven into very desirable clipping through use of the synth's VCO mixer. The poly glide is, needless to say, fantastic sounding.

Oh man, what an awesome first post. I am also a big fan of the Memmoog as more than several here know all too well and have done numerous repairs over the years. Here's a Memmoog Repair Link to my last major repair job. Another member on this forum The Real MC (aka Robert) and I think one other also share in being long time owners and very knowledgeable in repairs. I'm getting ready to replace many of the trimmer pots and inter board connectors. I've also had my power supply catch fire (flaming resistor) and smoke on at least 2 occasions. Also blew a capacitor across the room. I'm definitely interested in this replacement supply and may PM you for more info. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Hang around for a while - great folks here.

Thanks Markyboard, I appreciate your post and welcome very much. I looked at your link and fully understand what you went through as I did the same thing. I also sent you a PM regarding the info you asked. Thanks again and fully noted about your stock supply catching fire. They are a fire trap waiting to happen and you definitely should get the new supply. You'll need a perforated vent panel to cover the heat sink space. Even though no fan is needed anymore you still need to have the vent panel to let out the tiny bit of residual heat from the new supply which runs hand warm. It is, I think the best protection you can do for your MM.

Another member on this forum The Real MC (aka Robert) and I think one other also share in being long time owners and very knowledgeable in repairs. I'm getting ready to replace many of the trimmer pots and inter board connectors.

Yes, he and I are acquainted from the Moog forum. The Bourns 3440, I believe that's the part number, are the best replacement for the range and scale pots, the scale being the most critical. I only changed the ones in mine that jumped on the tuner. I don't calibrate the VCO's with that tedious hexidecimal double mirror routine. I use the scale overshoot method described in the manual with a $15 chromatic tuner plugged into the headphone out. I don't bother with C7 anymore. Good luck with the rest of your restoration!

In the words of the master :

"Many good techs fear

the Memorymoog as the devil fears holy water.

You must go very deep inside the MMs circuits and software to see what the

moog people did. It is an unconventional manner, never seen with any competitor".

Heinz Weierhorst

I don't check forum posts every day. For expediency, rather than PM'S, please email directly at chuckwagner1954@gmail.com for any questions, additional info etc as I do the pre order emails and QA FAQ for Heinz.

The supply also has been adapted by Heinz for Jupiters, Prophets, Chromas, Polymoogs and other vintage synths.

Wish I had that new power supply back in the 80's when I was gigging with an early model MM. I set aside 3 hours every Sunday to adjust scale, range and tune for those 18 osc's. It sounded great but it was a beast to keep in tune.

Wasn't invented then. The supply is all SMD. My MM is in near perfect tune after five minutes before even touching the autotune button now.

A few years ago I contemplated dumping the original supply and powering the memmoog externally with one of these. Ended up rebuilding much of the original supply but alas it crapped out again about 4 months ago. I just recently moved it to the work bench anticipating I'd start a major overhaul this winter. Your timing is perfect Chuck; sometimes procrastination is my friend.

I'm glad you're getting one, Mark. Regarding the original supply, some have in past substituted the TIP 75 pass transistors and bad things have happened. Regardless, a bench supply would hold potential to play havoc with the reset circuit. When you also consider Moog released updates for their supply involving first clamping down the pass transistors, then changing the PS header and adding finally a bracket to lock the board from moving, the supply clearly was problematic from the get go. You're doing the right thing getting one. The supply will outlive the synth, it's all SMD.

You'll think it's really weird when you hear zero noise when the synth is on. The only way you even know it's running when the synth is open is seeing if the green Leds inside the supply are glowing.

Another member on this forum The Real MC (aka Robert)

Who?!? :facepalm::taz:

From this day forward, you shall henceforth be known as the dread pirate, Robert.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Crap!!! That's what I get for trying to rely on my memory. But just in case I also warned the moderator that someone named Robert is posting using your account information :laugh:

(sorry about that)

Sssshhhhhhhh!!!!

I always thought he went by Bobby.

http://cdn3.hiphoplead.com/static/2011/01/Bobby-Brown-Brown.jpg

Archived