Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quicco mi.1 bluetooth midi interface

stoken6

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these. My new band is mixing up set lists close to the event, and my Nord Stage 2 is struggling with patch selection.

I'd like to use it with Set List Maker on my iPhone, and wondered if any forumites had used it successfully? @Kawai James, you posted about these a while ago, I'd be interested in your experiences.

Cheers, Mike

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stoken, yes I'm a big fan of the mi.1 - I think it's a great little device. The Quiccosound team are ex-Yamaha employees, and have their office located 30 minutes or so away.

When I first tried the mi.1 at a musical instrument festival in the city, it was running a beta firmware, and there was some noticeable latency between playing notes on the keys and having a voice on GarageBand play on the iPad. I recall at that time the devs telling me that they envisaged the mi.1 more for recording/playback/control of MIDI rather than necessarily for real-time VI playback.

Regardless, I backed their IndiGoGo campaign with the full pledge, receiving three units and an invite to their launch party. I kept one unit, sent one to my father in the UK, and another to a colleague in the US. The launch party was pretty cool - a collection of keyboard enthusiast geeking out about MIDI, controllers, and bluetooth - good fun. ;)

Anyway, the initial firmware that shipped with my mi.1 was a little laggy, and could cause stuck notes when using the expression pedal. I was happy to receive my unit as an early adopter, but a little disappointed with the performance and the sticking notes.

A month or so later a firmware update was posted that improved latency and also resolved the sticking notes issue I was experiencing. This was obviously a major improvement - I was actually very satisfied with the performance.

Then a few months later, following the release of iOS8, the v2.0 firmware shipped. This crucially did away with the 'mi.1 control' app that was required as a bridge between the mi.1 and MIDI apps. Instead, the native iOS8 Bluetooth MIDI api was used. This allowed even lower latency and simplified the connection process.

I currently use a 1st gen. iPad Air and enjoy playing around with Korg Module, Galileo Organ, and Neo Soul Keys. While some players may be able to feel a minor latency when playing the keys, it's not something that concerns me - certainly when playing instruments in Module from my Nord I don't feel like I'm playing a VI. I've never tested it properly though - it would be interesting to record both the iPad and native Nord sounds simultaneously (on separate channels) to test how slow/fast the mi.1 is.

I've yet to use the mi.1+iPad combination for any live performances, partly because I'm not so confident about the headphone output. However, that may change in the future.

Also, please note that I do not use Set List Maker, preferring instead to organise the patches on my Nord (and using the Nord Sound Manager) then just sticking a handwritten setlist and corresponding patch number to the left of my board. However, I'm thinking about giving it a try for future band practises and performances.

So my experiences with the mi.1 and Quiccosound have been incredibly positive - I have confidence in the device and would recommend it to anyone looking for a wireless MIDI solution. Again, I do not use it live *yet*, but the more I play with VIs on the iPad, the more confident I become. It might even come to a point where I leave my Nord at home and just show up to a performance with my iPad and mi.1 and use whatever board is available at the venue - provided it has MIDI terminals, I can set everything up the iPad (and use SLM) and have an ultra portable gigging setup.

I hope this helps! If you have any further queries, please let me know.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Archived