Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about a 5-string...

Groove Mama

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's blue! Hooray!

Looks more purple-y to me. But it might be violet.

Haven't played that bass, specifically, but the Ibanez Soundgear basses I've played were pretty good instruments.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

5 strings are pretty nice. Great thumb rest until you need it, great to have it when you want it. I've been playing 5's for a long time. I debate going back to a 4, and I could get alone without the B just fine, but it is nice to have on occasion and I guess that's been enough for me to stay with it. Enjoy!

I've been working like crazy and traveling, so I haven't been playing at all. :(

I dropped it off over a week ago to have it set up but had to miss a lesson and haven't even had time to go pick it up.

I work way too much, and I don't play nearly often enough. I've gotta fix that...

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So I finally picked up my fiver ("Blue") from the shop and got to spend some quality time with it. Yes, it's a bit of an adjustment, but overall I really like it. For one thing, the closer string spacing is more comfortable. For another, it's just great to be able to go a little lower when need be, and it feels pretty natural.

I have 4 days off this weekend and am looking forward to getting even more up close and personal with Blue.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

The tighter string spacing is a definite benefit for me -- relatively small hands and short fingers.

Although it makes slapping a bit more challenging. But I suck at slapping anyway, so nothing lost there for me.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'm a big fan of closer string spacing. I only slap just enough to cover the part, so closer is way more comfortable for me the rest of the time. Glad you're digging it.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived