Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

plugins vs outboard

Everytime I try to bump up my mixes in protools (before the red) it starts sounding edgy distorted. Are waves mastering or sony oxfor3d plugs that good (to quasi master) or do I have to go outside of protools to say a dbx 160sl to cd burner or something? clients want everything louder but when I push the mix it sounds dirty. help.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you monitoring through? Are you hitting your monitoring system too hard?

IF ProTools isn't peaking, the response on the ProTools master fader should be clean all the way until you do peak.

Do you have any inserts on the master fader?

If you have to master it yourself you could use the waves stuff, or TC|MasterX. There are others too. Everyone has their own favorites.

But you will still hear that distortion if you don't nail down your monitoring problem.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

Using Dynaudio Air 20s monitoring not the problem. Want to know if I can master inside protools using plugins you referred to to get mixes as loud a mastering thourgh outboard gear. sure it distorts when levels peak. Mixes still not as loud as when I used to use 2" analog mixing to dat with a compressor lightly on the stereo buss.

Originally posted by low spark:

Using Dynaudio Air 20s monitoring not the problem. Want to know if I can master inside protools using plugins you referred to to get mixes as loud a mastering thourgh outboard gear. sure it distorts when levels peak. Mixes still not as loud as when I used to use 2" analog mixing to dat with a compressor lightly on the stereo buss.

With a digital brickwall limiter (like Waves L2) you can get a master way, way louder than you would be able to with analog processing.

But keep in mind that this process is usually best left to mastering, rather than screwing up your mix with excessive dynamics processing.

-Matt M

I definitely agree with the last comment. Consider processing the mix a couple of times. You may be able to get more level with less artifacts and distortion that way.

Archived