Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Firewire/USB Hubs

If I'm supposed to be able to connect 127 Firewire/USB devices to my computer, how come (especially for the music industry) no one makes rackmountable Firewire and USB hubs?

It could have 6 Firewire, and 6 USB, with a real power supply and power cord. A couple of extra ports on the front. Kinda like a Z-systems lightpipe patchbay.

I'd rather have all my stuff in a rack, instead of a bunch of little boxes with :mad: AC adapters.

Comments?

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I was looking for. I'll be rebuilding my recording setup soon, and I'm counting the number of Firewire stuff I might have plugged up at one time. I also recently had to get behind my Mac to plug something in and, I thought "patchbay".

The Bryant patchbay appears to be a 1 to 1 configuration so that means you would need short patch cables on the front. So it doesn't really work like a "hub", maybe they'll come up with some different combinations.

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

the reason i knew about them is that i was seriously looking into them too.

i have a "sneaker drive" that is a firewire drive going between 4 computers in my studio for offline stuff.

like, if i need to render 4 hours of band footage which will take 24 hours i can get my edits done on the A mac, put the whole session on that drive, and transfer that drive to another computer to render. this way i can still have my A mac running all the time. also i use the drive to move sessins around the macs and PCs here, and across town.

this is all a PITA right now for me because i have my computers in quiet boxes with firewire ports in the back of the computer. opening up the box and manuevering back there sucks so i am looking for a better way.

the rack panel would work, but would be overkill for me.

Archived