Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Met ROCCO Last Friday Night

Electro Fan

Hi Folks,

I have posted occasionally here as I am primarily a keyboard player, but I thought that my recent "brush with greatness" would be more appreciated on this forum.

Last Friday night I had the pleasure of seeing Tower of Power at the Rockland, Maine Lobster Festival. I had only stumbled on the fact that TOP were headlining the Saturday evening concert a week before they were to play and actually thought I would not be able to go. I actually asked the bass player, a big Rocco fan also, if he wanted to go, but unfortunately he had other obligations. In turned out that my wife actually surprised me and agreed to go, not really knowing much about what TOP played.

The venue was a small stage with limited seating, right along the Maine coast. The weather was perfect and we had great seats for the show. The concert opened with a half hour stand up comedy routine and then a small break before TOP came on. During the break I went to the merchandise counter and picked up a T shirt. I asked someone on security if the band members would be willing to meet with a fan and maybe sign an autograph. He directed me to the merchandise counter as he did not work for the band directly. I spoke to a gentleman there about my request to meet Rocco and he said that Rocco had just come to the stage to tune up and maybe I could get his attention.

As it turns out Rocco was tuning up and after waiting for the backing music to end, I called to him and showed him my Bass Player mag with his cover. I asked if he would be willing to sign my issue, and after a few minutes of silence he came over and shook my hand and signed the magazine cover, even asking where I wanted it signed and if I wanted him to sign it to me. Of course, I am not selling it, so I asked for him to personalize it to me, and then it was over and he was backstage.

The concert was awesome and I even got to meet keyboard player Roger Smith after show. If TOP is in your area, and you have never gone, do yourself a favor and go out and support this still vibrant touring act. A band now celebrating 47 years of "delivering the goods".

Bill

20192630589_30882838bd_z.jpgUntitled by squired70, on Flickr

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was pleased when I read some months ago that Rocco was doing well and that he was able to rejoin TOP on tour. I was a little bummed when I found out that drummer David Garabaldi was out due to needing hip replacement urgent. David's one of my favorite drummers and the hook up between DG and Rocco is something special. Fill in drummer Herman Matthews was great, but David was essential to the sound TOP created.

Although I mainly consider myself a keyboard player. It is the special chemistry that occurs between drummers and bass players in legendary rhythm sections that makes me believe I would be the happiest playing bass. Of course, being paired with a drummer you struggle to make a connection with, could make it also the least fun position in the band to hold.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

I had tickets to the Friday night TOP show at the San Jose Jazz Festival and also tickets to Saturday but due to circumstances I wasn't able to go and gave the tickets to some friends. I'm friends with a couple of TOP, Jerry Cortez - guitar and Tom Politzer - sax. I was also looking forward to seeing John Pizzarelli and a hip San Jose group Idiot Fish.

Glad you got to see them Electro Fan and agree there is some real magic with Rocco and Garabaldi.

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived