Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

this guy was the president???

LOS ANGELES The controversy surrounding Janet Jackson's Super Bowl performance has caused the singer's boyfriend to call it quits from the Recording Academy.

On Friday Jermaine Dupri held a press conference to announce he is resigning from his position as president of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences' Atlanta chapter.

The announcement came one day after it was announced that Jackson would not be attending this weekend's Grammy Awards ceremony, which is presented by the Recording Academy. She had been scheduled to present a special Grammy to Luther Vandross, who has been recuperating from a stroke for the past 10 months.

"I feel like I don't want to be a part of something that's not treating musical people in the right light," Dupri, standing onstage at the Avalon club, explained. "I feel what's going on with Janet is very unfair right now. I'm looked at as one of the youngest people that's on the floor [at NARAS]. When you're on the floor at NARAS, you make the decisions, basically. I feel that if I can't change this or make it go in the right way it should go, I shouldn't be a part of it."

Dupri, who said he would not be attending the Grammys, accused the organization of not supporting Jackson as strongly as it should have.

"I consider NARAS a community who protects each other and supports each other," Dupri said. "We have programs like MusiCares, [which] provides financial assistance for musicians who have fallen on hard times. But there appears to be a double standard. I cannot stand by and watch a fellow member of the music community be used as a scapegoat. It comes down to the issue of fairness. Despite it all, what is happening is not fair."

Jermaine didn't open up much about the halftime incident, but he did say he wasn't aware of Janet's last-minute change to her show and was just as surprised as the rest of the world at what happened (see "Janet Jackson Issues Video Apology For Super Bowl Incident"). He also said that despite the uproar, his girlfriend is in good spirits.

"She's good," Dupri said. "Everybody else is making this bigger than what it is."

Despite his resignation and decision not to attend, J.D. said he'll still celebrate the Grammy Awards. He's hosting a star-studded gala on Sunday where the guest list includes members of his So So Def roster, Ludacris and Outkast.

A Recording Academy spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad that someone has the backbone to speak up about that. I do think what Janet Jackson did was inappropriate, but the virtual lynching from the press and the conservative right is totally disproportionate to showing a long camera shot boob for a second on national TV (and apparently it's okay for news broadcasts to show it over and over and freeze the image).

The problem with me about the whole thing was that I was sitting next to my ten year old daughter and she absolutely idolizes Justin Timberlake. This guy is everything to her--he can do no wrong. So to see him rip some tit out on tv in front of me I was just shocked because I had nothing to say to my kid, neither did my wife. So we ignored it...we know she saw it but what was there for us to say? "It's only a show"--that shit doesn't happen on the shows she watches...I had no explanation as a parent and so did most of America and I think that is where all the problems/controversy comes from.

I'm upset about it, I think they should screw all those involved over it. F them. Keep it on the networks you expect to see shit like that.

I totally get where you are coming from, but the reaction is bizarre and totally *disproportionate*. I mean, suddenly, you have networks pulling parts of programs about heart surgery because it shows a little breast on it and that kind of thing.

From the ensuing broadcasts, you'd have thought that they were committing human sacrifices at the Super Bowl. There's now programs with ongoing Point/Counterpoint commentary and news programs constantly reshowing the footage. So why don't they take the heat as well?

And for that matter, I would think that it's rather difficult to try and have children watch three different manufacturers of erectile dysfunction products have ongoing spots on the Super Bowl, and then follow the Super Bowl up with programming about half-naked people on an island. If we're gonna get our panties in a bunch over a one-second long long camera shot of a boob, should we also get upset about commercials about a pill that can make daddy get wood again? Or freeze-shots on afternoon news programs, zooming in on Janet Jackson's boob? Or the fact that Janet and Justin were grinding against each other? I mean, where is the consistency here?

I find this whole public reaction to be bizarre, and highly disproportionate and hypocritical to what was also in the context of the Super Bowl. I feel like we are right back in "Leave it To Beaver" territory, back in some strange neo-conservative, hypocritical 1950s sit-com where nothing makes any sense.

How did he become president of NARAS in the 1st place?

He's right. Enough of Janet's peers are vocal enough. They should all be telling her it was a dumb, senseless stunt.

Put in context, the organisers of the show have every right to be pissed. The half naked cheerleaders - ok.

Men in tights throwing themselves at each other over a ball - check.

Penis stiffener ads - check.

It's their dime, those things they were aware of. JJ deviated from the script, from the rehearsals.

We, the viewing public (well those that watched) should be pissed at the broadcaster, and only the broadcaster. Ultimately, they have (and should exercise) full control over what's broadcasted. It's their fault for not having checks and balances.

What if instead of a litte titty, a sniper had snuck in the stadium and put a bullet thru somebody's head, live on national tv? What's the obsession with "live"? That's the problem. Live reduces one's ability to check, control, moderate.

Had their been a 1 minute delay, this would have been a pimple on an amoeba's ass. Instead, I got one of my best fantasies ruined.

I had no idea that Janet's breast was so saggy!

NYC Drew

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

"She's good," Dupri said. "Everybody else is making this bigger than what it is."

Just like the rest of her career! Whats the big deal?

You live by the hype and you die by the hype.

She should have learned that by watching her brother Micheals career.

Such is life in show biz.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Drew's right.

This week we had John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) on a celeb reality TV show set in the Austrailian rainforest. No delay was used by the broadcaster and John managed to get "fuck" and "cunt" out on primetime TV.

Even so, the amount of self-righteous ire directed at John and the network was nothing compared to the shit JJ got.

Different societies? Langauge less offensive that a saggy boob?

I've no idea.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Needless to say, the venue was an inappropriate place for this stuff. Big-time suggestive crotch-grabbing, tit-caressing, ass-humping, pseudo-fucking, all topped off by shit music, including Nelly's retreaded 2-chorded song.....for halftime? Oy, please. I am far from a prude, all 46 years of me. Kind of a rebel with a cause, and have no problem with public nudity, as it is celebrated in Europe without shame or taboo like here in the U.S.A.....BUT....the music industry..particularly rap/hip-hop/heavymetal...purveys an inferior product compared to ANY musically historical period in recorded history. IMHO. ---Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Compact Diss, here's a mini rant I wrote on another forum last night while I was, strangely enough, not at a gig.

You know, I didn't see the game or the half-time show. If they had the cast of Nunsense or the country's best college marching band (sans majorettes) or if they decided to give high school teacher of the year awards, everyone would have been bored sh*tless. So CBS/MTV makes it ultra-hip. Sexy, pop-star babes and hunks grinding against each other, doing everything but swapping fluid. Simulated sex for the world to see. Music pumping, dancers undulating, band funkin', crowd waiting with baited breath for the every next beat. I am imagining that by the end of the number any audience member that wasn't jonesin' for a fresh plate of wings or another cold beer was sitting exactly were they were when Ms. Jackson and Mr. Timberlake took the stage. Then all of a sudden, out of the blue, in a SONG ABOUT F*CKING out pops a breast! THE HORROR ! ! !

Beers spilled, wings dropped, nachos flying, children's eyes being covered. A breast! Can you imagine that? What were they thinking? After all that "family entertainment" a breast, complete with a decorated nipple, bared for all the world to see. What were they thinking we wanted to see? Certainly not that!

Now CDiss, my turn is coming. My daughter will be 3 in one week and sooner than I like she will be 10 listening to the lamest music ever "written" and enjoying it. The shows will be even skankier and (heaven forbid ) people will be even more hypocritical.

In some twisted way I wish my daughter would be forever 8 months old. Cute, clever, easy to move around, didn't talk back, didn't run everywhere, didn't ask embarrassing questions, no tantrums, quiet walk to the park and the market, no demands - bliss! That is not going to happen. At this point I can only arm her with as much knowledge as she can handle, which, by the way, will be is a lot more than I will think she can handle. That and keep her out of the music business.

As for this Jermaine Dupree character, I don't think I have heard a sing song that he has done, should I bother looking around?

The problem with me about the whole thing was that I was sitting next to my ten year old daughter and she absolutely idolizes Justin Timberlake. This guy is everything to her--he can do no wrong. So to see him rip some tit out on tv in front of me I was just shocked because I had nothing to say to my kid, neither did my wife. So we ignored it...we know she saw it but what was there for us to say?

How then was this bad for your daughter? I'm not picking a fight with you, I just dont understand how this hurt your daughter. Can you explain? Please distinguish between your own assumptions of how might think the world has gone to hell (if thats what you think), and how this actually harmed your daughter. Thanks.
Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by Duddits:

The problem with me about the whole thing was that I was sitting next to my ten year old daughter and she absolutely idolizes Justin Timberlake. This guy is everything to her--he can do no wrong. So to see him rip some tit out on tv in front of me I was just shocked because I had nothing to say to my kid, neither did my wife. So we ignored it...we know she saw it but what was there for us to say?

How then was this bad for your daughter? I'm not picking a fight with you, I just dont understand how this hurt your daughter. Can you explain? Please distinguish between your own assumptions of how might think the world has gone to hell (if thats what you think), and how this actually harmed your daughter. Thanks.
Another thing you might want to think about is whether or not a song by a crotch grabbing vocalist in which the chorus is: "Gonna have you naked by the end of this song!" is by itself appropriate for you ten year old daughter?

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

yeah, what kind of parent allows their 10-year-old daughter to make Justin Timberlake the center of her universe? :freak:;)

so go ahead girl do that ass-shakin thing you do!

I mean, I dunno if even that bassline is appropriate for pubescent and prepubescent females! :D

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Archived