Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$20 Optical Switcher

Need to switch between Adat optical devices/sources/destinations? Got $20? Here ya go.

Passive, no mirrors or prisms, successfully null tested, no signal degradation, reversible (4 in/1 out or 1 in/4 out) works great. Radio Shack 15-1586. A poor man's dream.

http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/15/15-1586.jpg

Lawrence

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heck, I'll bump this again. Actually, while looking at this, I was thinking that maybe I could use it...do you know if this optical switcher can switch between ADAT Optical and S/PDIF optical (or maybe it doesn't matter and this is a really silly question that reveals my total lack of understanding of optical and indicates that I should be banished from this thread forever)?

Originally posted by NE-One:

Being passive, it probably should just take whatever you have and pass it through. It will DEFINITELY not convert anything.

You got it. It's simply a plastic box with fiber optic cables inside. Beautifully simple.

Lawrence

Originally posted by LawrenceF:

Need to switch between Adat optical devices/sources/destinations? Got $20? Here ya go.

Passive, no mirrors or prisms, successfully null tested, no signal degradation, reversible (4 in/1 out or 1 in/4 out) works great. Radio Shack 15-1586. A poor man's dream.

http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/15/15-1586.jpg

Lawrence

Awesome, nice lead, man. I could use a couple of these.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

No mirrors or prisms? How does it work? Has anyone actually tried it?

That's a cool little device - assuming it works.

Oh it works. I've got three hooked up to switch between playback from Cubase/d8b or HD24/d8b.

Here's what two other users have to say...

Originally posted by Irwin Shur:

The device is maybe a five inch circle, heavier than it looks, but all plastic. It's got some rubber feet so it won't slide around much. The selector has a button in the middle that locks it so you can't accidentally change channels--you must push down the button and turn at the same time. No power, of course, and a simple little green dial moves around inside to show you which port is active.

Bottom line...it works.

Originally posted by John H. Clark:

For those that are interested in what's inside the switcher...I picked one up today and immediately upon getting it home...opened it up. The only thing inside besides all the plastic that makes up the switching mechanism is a very short run (about 5" or 6") of fibre optic cable (No mirrors at all). I was pleasantly surprised after connecting it between one adat bank of my MOTU 2408mk3 and the second OPT-8 card in the d8b to find that this thing is actually ADAT compatible since there is no mention made of ADAT compatibility on Radio Shacks' website nor on the box itself. The box only makes mention of it being Toslink Compatible.

Radio Shack made the thing so home stereo users could hook up multiple toslink devices to the single toslink input on a stereo reciever.

If they knew what it would mean to pro audio users it probably would be priced a little higher than $20. :)

Lawrence

sniff,sniff,PHEW! UGH,MY EYES! oy, I thank ol' hanky pank jus' had a g.a.s. attack!

dang man, say: "excuse me", when you do that henery jeesh!

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Man, that's so cool, I just have to figure a way I could use one.

And Radio Shacks about 5 blocks away . . . .

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

wow- an entire thread without anyone bashng radioshack. Too bad because I'm in the mood to bach RS a little bit.

Their salesman didn't even know if he sold "inductors" (he didn't).

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Phil, I go to radio shack when I don't want to or can't order parts. They want the same prices in the catalog as they do in the store and I can get those type of parts from other catalogs for much less.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Archived