Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Students bought me a neck - need suggestions for the rest

SteveC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19478754766_54f131fa69_z.jpg

The pick guard holes are pretty stripped so I'll do the wood shaving/toothpick/wood glue thing to get them back. Not sure what to do with the extra hole. dummy knob, or just leave it.

Gonna go with the volume only for now and leave the hole. Like you said, it's easy enough to add it later.

I filled the pick guard holes with a sawdust/wood glue mixture. I've ised this before with good success. I found screws and bought some DR Black Beauties to keep with the black vibe.

Well, it came to life for a minute. I need to change the bridge as I don't have a hex wrench that fits the saddle screws for the one that's on it but I do for the other.

It sounded good when I tried the open strings. The neck needs to sit under tension for a bit so I can try to set the truss rod.

• 3 weeks later...

So, here's a really bad picture of the bass as it sits...

20079612118_455fb2ec0e_b.jpg

Volume knob

Empty hole

Black Beauty Strings to go with the unlined board

Action is a little high (probably need to shave the nut a tad) but not too bad. It's not my Roscoe fretless, but for what it is, it ain't bad.

You could cover the hole with a sticker or glue something like a coin or a marble over it.

I always thought a waterslide decal of this here would be cool on a Fender headstock.

http://www.guitarcentro.com/shop/img/c/13-category.jpg

Push the button Frank.

The headstock can use some personalization.

A bass Varitone would fit nice instead of a dummy knob if you want to get silly.

Good job so far. Enjoy it.

A varitone would be awesome. My borderline OCD is screaming for that hole to be filled. Other than that it looks pretty cool.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived