Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the vocals always come up higher than the instrumental

why is it that that always happens when i mix? i think i have a natural inclination to mix in the vocals louder, cuz i want every word to be audible, but when i take a break, then later listen to the mix, ......i find out i mixed in the vocals way higher..... i guess EQ could fix this up, but the best approach would be to start all over again (aaaaaargh). anyone have any tips/tricks they use when mixing to help achieve a balanced mix?
"Los niños escuchan el 'rap'...que les daña el cerebro"

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
don't get furustrated, take breaks... try to get different perspectives of your mix if you can. like, listen to it on headphones, then switch back to the monitors. if you have a boom box with an aux input, you can plug it into your mixer (or daw) and get a 'consumer perspective'. also, i find it helps to listen to your mix from outside the room. that's all i have, i hope it helps, good luck.
0096 2251 2110 8105

This is an area that I still struggle with, but I find in my work, if I find myself bumping the vocal louder than it should be, it's because of instruments competing with the vocal frequency range. EQ is a solution, but not the best one. In your case, it could be a bit of sonic "congestion". Think in terms of each track taking a certain amount of audio real estate. Jangly acoustic guitars, cymbals and percussion can obscure consonants, while acoustic and electric guitars, keyboards, bass overtones and certain percussion can tend to drown fundamental vocal tones. Try thinning out the instrumentation by EQ, or maybe even removing things that are unnecessary, thereby leaving a "hole" for the vocal to sit. The best solution is to plan ahead and arrange instrument parts to complement and support the vocal, not compete. As a reference, Steely Dan records are a great example of how a vocal can be really relatively low in the mix, but it still maintains perfect clarity because there's room amongst the instruments. Best of success! Dembones [ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: demtation ]

Archived