Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weird Little Phatty/Logic problem

I'm using Logic X, and my Little Phatty is occasionally (every few minutes) sending out some kind of MIDI command that's causing Logic to play (or if a track is record-enabled, it will start recording).

I've used a MIDI monitor program, and it shows some random pitch bend and mod wheel signals coming out, but those should cause Logic to start playing or recording. I've tried two different MIDI interfaces, thinking that maybe the interface itself was generating the commands, but I get the same problem with both.

Does anyone have any idea what signal the Little Phatty could be sending out?

thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's another weird thing I just discovered. If I move the pitch bend wheel on the Little Phatty, Logic starts recording. If I move the pitch bend paddle on my JP-8000, nothing happens. So there are kind of two issues: why is the Little Phatty occasionally spitting out pitch bend data, and why is Logic interpreting that data as a command to start recording?

What does your MIDI monitor report? Is the Phatty just sending pitch bend or is there another command that's being sent with it that's not on the JP?

BTW, I think you should be able to fix this within Logic. It's crazy powerful with what it can do with MIDI.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The midi monitor just shows pitch wheel data (usually a value of 0 or 5). My initial post that said it was also sending out mod wheel data appears to be incorrect.

The fact that the Little Phatty is occasionally sending out pitch bend data isn;t a huge deal. But the fact that Logic is interpreting it as a signal to start recording is bizarre. I can probably figure out how to filter the data in Logic, but then I'd think I'd be unable to use the pitch wheel.

It is strange that if two devices send pitch bend data to Logic but one seems to trigger something besides pitch bend as well.

The only other thing I can think of is if it might have to do with the MIDI channel.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hmmm...I was in the studio recently and they had a Sub37. It was driving us crazy until we saw it was sending out a stray LFO message, and arpeggiator. Make sure that there are no things sneaking through! (although I'm sure you've already checked it!)

Good luck!

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

You say you're using a MIDI interface; I know the LP Stage II has USB MIDI, does the original? If so, why aren't you using that? Have you tried that?

Also, be certain that the Logic MIDI track display isn't filtering out / hiding some types of MIDI data; the MIDI Monitor app you tried might be doing the same thing. Very often things like Active Sensing and SysEx will be hidden by default to make it easier to see note & other performance data.

Archived