Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Massive thank-you!

jpst

Hi all -I've been a long-time avid reader (sounds better than lurker) from the UK, and have read all sorts of threads on both what to get and, more importantly, what NOT to get. I am a piano teacher by day, and have some varied small-time jazz, funk & soul gigs, accompany choirs etc, and have suffered bouts of GAS in the past (too much vintage gear I hardly use)!

Thanks to various threads on this forum, I bought a PX-5S last year sight-unseen online (after finally selling the yammie P90 I've had since 2004), and it's the best thing I ever did! It's proved an absolutely invaluable workhorse, for school shows as well as gigs, for me, being a mainly piano-based player. It covers so many bases, and I still haven't delved into many of the capabilities it has! And half the weight of my SV-1 88.

After the endless familiar quest for "a decent piano sound" (yes, I admit I'm guilty of doing the KC550 thing!) I decided, based on the many threads here, a couple of years ago, NOT to update my car, and just spend the dough and get a pair of RCF TT08s, with a view to them being (barring damage or theft) my LAST speaker acquisition. Again, brilliant advice here - I've got as close as I'm ever going to get to the "headphones sound" for acoustic piano. I've spent more than I've ever earned on gigs, or am likely to earn for a while, on them, but I'm very happy with my sound.

So a big shout out to all those offering great advice - this is an awesome forum, with many great seasoned players I'll never meet (you know who you all are). Thank you all again, and sorry I haven't contributed much, before.

PX-5S, 2xRCF TT08, SV-1RV 88, 2xMSR100, rhodes, clav, wz200a, yam C3 piano

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've tried to offload the KC550 a couple of times, but none of the other musos seem to want it - can't think why... :confused:
PX-5S, 2xRCF TT08, SV-1RV 88, 2xMSR100, rhodes, clav, wz200a, yam C3 piano

Keyboard Central advice doesn't guarantee that you won't get burned, but its very good at ASSURING that you don't. Once you've done your own research, its a very useful closing catalyst. I've always ended up better off because I folded that into the batter before I baked the cake. :cheers:

“Drugs at our age?
 You don’t have to take them forever.
 Once you’ve opened the doors of perception,
  you can see what’s going on; you’ve got the ideas.”
        ~ Dave Brock on Hawkwind’s late-period purple patch

The other thing this forum is really good at is collectively figuring out how to use new technology, e.g. the never-ending CPS SSv3 thread.

If we could find a way to get the people building products and the people using products together on this forum, the world would be a better place. Maybe invite product builders to post surveys, etc. -- dunno.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Good to see yet another Brit on board welcome to KC and congratulations on the new acquisition.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived