Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Made the Leap

Wally Malone

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yesterday I moved on ordering the twin to the fretless. In about two months I'll have three Carvin Vanquish basses. This will be the arsenal in my bass playing future. With the pack pain I've been experiencing over the last year I want to keep my basses in the 8 pound range. My Vanquish basses will include the twin five-strings tuned E-C, one fretless & one fretted and the four-string mentioned above. Not only will having these three be friendly on my back but also friendly on my mind. All three will have the double octave, same pickups and preamp making for good muscle memory and a consistency of all the knobs on the preamp.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

That is possible Willie. Of the current stable the only other two basses that are light in weight is the Kubicki (which will never go) and the Fender Antigua P Bass. I've been playing the Carvin fretless every night and it feels so at home that I'm really looking forward to the fretted twin and the four banger for the funk. As much as I like the SB5000 the 10 pound 7 ounce weight will pull that out of the rotation and could be the first to go should I decide to move some basses.

• 2 months later...
Got the email showing a FedEx delivery of the Vanquish V49K will happen tomorrow. Looking forward to having this in my hands and working on bringing back my slap chops. Yes, there will be a photo!

I've been having to spend some time with a family issue but have had a little time to play it and it plays great. Haven't had time to take photos yet. I haven't been playing any of my fours lately and this one really shows how much more playing funk is on a four. I'll have to get over to my buddies house and weigh this, it feels like it may be under eight pounds. In a couple of weeks the fretted twin to the fretless five should arrive and looking forward to that since there are jazz tunes I sing and don't want to play on the fretless and also want to use a five string. As a reminder I tune my fives E-C.

Archived