Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

running your OWN web server on a mac

ok, so one of my buddies moved about 1k miles away. i have some unfinished tunes of his, and id like to get him mp3's of the mixdowns before snailmail... so i found it easy to set up a web page on MY machine, a mac. i got it to work in a few minutes :) i have a cable modem so its on all the time. i even shut the computer down (but not the modem) to see if it would reconnect with the same ip address. it did. what will happen if i shut the modem down? do i get a new ip address? that wouldnt work very well as i have to reconnect every few weeks (???) my address is just a bunch of numbers. is there a way to give it a name-type address? also, i noticed in my log that after only 12 hours of being up that 2 separate unknown ip's had attempted to log in to my page. is this hacking, or what? they didnt get past the password prompt from what the log says. also, are mp3's just simple mp3's? as in, if i have a mac, i can just leave the mp3's alone with a ".mp3" at the end of the file name? i know that mac apps do not go over the internet unless they are "stuffed" or "binhexed" etc. due to rescource forks. does this apply to mp3's? also, what happens if i put the thing to sleep? )i never sleep the hard drives, just the display) [ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: coaster ]

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your computer is probably getting an IP address from your ISP using the DHCP protocol. Your IP address is 'leased' from the DHCP server at your ISP and must be re-negotiated from time to time--so yes, your IP address will probably change periodically. Since you are using a Mac, why not register for Apple's free iTools service? This gives you 20MB of web and file server space on Apple's servers. You can create a 'Download' web page within a couple of minutes just using their point-and-click interface (no need to know HTML). Then just put all your MP3's in the 'Public' folder of your iDisk and anyone can download them. For example, users would just type 'homepage.mac.com/[username]/download' into their web browser. You can even access your iDisk from a Windows machine using WebDAV. IMHO, iTools is a very cool benefit of owning a Mac!

Archived