Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whiplash

jeremy c

Was the bass battle in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World realistic? Was it a great scene (and a great movie)?

The only reason to watch that movie is to stare at that Rickenbacker.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

My brother asked me to attend the film due to issues regarding certain shooting locations, so I didn't see it. I can't go into more detail without causing trouble; ask in private if interested.

I did see the previews, and had previously planned to go see it. OTOH, most ensembles in academia (which I gather this movie was about) are NOT run by tyrants. I can speak to that first-hand.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I don't recall the bass player getting much screen time.

In most performance videos, even if the bass player is the singer and band leader, and the bass riff is the key to the song, he gets less screen time than the guitard. I blame most of that on the film maker though, he needs to know the songs beforehand in order to direct his cameramen who to focus on.

Heck, in the movie "That Thing You Do" the bass player doesn't even get a name.

JK Simmons is a great actor, I'm sure his performance is worth the price of the ticket. In real life, I wouldn't let anyone physically assault me.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 4 months later...

i watched this last night. i really enjoyed the pacing of the film. every time JK simmons was on screen i would tense up. he was really good. whenever a move is "based on a true story" i wonder what parts are true, and which are slightly exaggerated, massively exaggerated, and which are completely fabricated.

i'm not much of a jazz guy, but i know enough that even i questioned the plot device where they only had a few hours to learn the chart, but it was "caravan". i mean, if you're playing at that level, i don't know how you aren't already familiar with caravan. but, whatever. it still worked.

also, every time i watch scott pilgrim i like it more. "didn't you know? todd's vegan."

[video:youtube]

I finally saw it, thought the end was kind of a cop out.

I don't think that bandleader would trash his own show just to get "revenge" on a student, especially after what happened to the trumpet player. And then the kid turns it around and shows him!

Meh, good movie with a disappointing-even-though-it-was-supposed-to-be-stirring ending.

Push the button Frank.

I think the only movie, video, or other film clip where the bass player gets more than a passing second of screen time is the Jaco documentary.

Even in songs where the bass line is THE MAIN IDENTIFIER of the song, the bass player is ignored in favor of the lead vox or the guit**d.

Anyway, JK Simmons is a great actor, I'm sure I'll watch this movie eventually. I watched more movies on last month's flight to and from Germany than I had in the previous 6 months at least. I've fallen out of the habit of going to movies.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I think the only movie, video, or other film clip where the bass player gets more than a passing second of screen time is the Jaco documentary.

Shadows & Light (Joni Mitchell concert film w/ Jaco)

Standing in the Shadows of Motown (Bob Babbitt gets decent screen time, and Jamerson gets lots of attention)

Spinal Tap (Derek Smalls is key!)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Kind of good movie, but a lot of the drumming doesn't make any sense at all.

Event though the performances sounded fine, all the drummers practice sessions sounded like crap. No drummer after his/her second year of playing would ever practice like that, just banging around going for speed. And all the blood? And breaking a drumhead like that?

But non-musicians probably thinks this is the way it works.

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

Archived